Gymnasts perform at home

Stubbs win floor event

Photo by Elizabeth Jackson

Sophomore Julia Stedman competes on the uneven bars Friday night.

Story by Courtney Roszak, Staff Writer

The UW-Eau Claire gymnastics team took second place against UW-Oshkosh and Winona State (Minn.) Friday night at the McPhee Physical Education Center while Winona State took first.

The Blugolds ended the night with a score of 181.775. Winona  State had 181.825, while Oshkosh took third scoring 179.950.

Blugold sophomore Elizabeth Stubbs took first in floor with a score of 9.5 for the night.

“Tonight was one of our better meets,” Stubbs said. “We all were ready for it. We’re ready for more to come.”

Krystal Walker from Oshkosh took first in balance beam with a score of 9.475 and took first in all-around, ending the night at 37.025. Oshkosh gymnast Leane Blais took first on uneven bars scoring 9.475,  and Jade Donaldson from Winona State took first in vault scoring 9.425.

Friday night’s meet was a special night as the team paid tribute to their parents and sent their seniors off at the last home meet of the season. Before results were announced, head coach Jean DeLisle spoke personally to the crowd about each individual senior.

After, the senior’s parents gave them a special memento to commemorate their gymnastics careers. For senior Lexi Burnikel’s mom, Jayne Burnikel, it was an important and emotional night.

“I’m incredibly proud of her, (Lexi) has struggled with so many injuries, but each time she’s battled back from them,” Jayne Burnikel said.

Stay tuned for more in Thursday’s edition of The Spectator.