Men’s hockey stings Yellowjackets, sweeps weekend series

After a somewhat slow start to the second half of their season, the UW-Eau Claire men’s hockey team racked up two wins against UW-Superior this weekend at Hobbs Ice Arena, winning 5-2 Friday and 3-1 Saturday.
    Friday night, senior forward Jordan Singer scored the first two goals of the game, both in the first period, but the Yellowjackets finished off the period with a score of their own from John Kesler.
    Junior forwards Jon Waggoner and Mark Pustin each racked up a goal of their own in the second for the Blugolds, Waggoner scoring not too long after losing the blade on one of his skates.
    Scoring went back and forth in the third, but with 23 seconds left in the game, Singer netted the last goal of the night.
    Saturday, it took the Blugolds longer to get going, but they came away with another victory.
    While the only goal of the first period was scored by Superior, the Blugolds fought their way back with senior forward Travis Peckskamp’s goal almost halfway through the second period.
    Another standout performance on the ice was shown by Waggoner, who scored his second goal of the weekend on Saturday, at 5:57 in the third period.
    The biggest surprise of the weekend was the Blugolds’ final goal, netted by junior defenseman Alex Olson. The puck bounced off the glass and found its way into the net halfway through the third period.
    Senior goalie Brandon Stephenson earned his 11th and 12th wins of the season, chalking up 25 saves on Friday and another 38 on Saturday.
    Check back soon for extended coverage, or pick up Thursday’s edition of The Spectator.