Women’s Lacrosse ends fall ball

The women’s lacrosse team traveled to River Falls last weekend to take place in their first live action of the new season. The team finished the road trip with a 1-2 record, but in fall ball, final scores are far less important than the improvement and growth garnered with experience.

A bright spot came in early in the tournament when the Blugolds took on the University of Minnesota Duluth. Although they lost the game 11-10, team captain Kelby Land said the final score proved her squad played strong lacrosse.

“We normally struggle against them a little bit,” Land said. “Last year we lost to them 20-2. They’re a really good team that usually beats teams but points upon points, so our effort showed a huge improvement.”

Eau Claire split their remaining two games with a loss against Iowa State and a hard earned victory against St. Mary’s. Moving forward though, the wins and losses earned at River Falls won’t count for or against the team. Fall ball serves as a warmup for the spring season, when final scores begin to count.

The warm up games are especially important for a young and inexperienced Blugold team.

“I can tell our offense is going to be very good this year,” Land said. “We’ve got a lot of experience on that side, but over half of our team is new this year. Some have never played lacrosse before. Defensively, we need to gain experience.”

Because some of the girls are picking up a brand new sport, fall ball isn’t just about polishing technique. It’s the first time many of them have ever stepped on a lacrosse field, so part of the benefits come down to getting comfortable with the sport.

“It’s a way to introduce them to the rules and how the refs call games,” Land said. “It’s important to get out there with everyone and show the girls what the game is all about.”
    Fall ball is important to the players’ development because practice time isn’t always as productive as an average sport. Women’s lacrosse is a club team, meaning a substantial amount of funding comes from the girls’ own pockets. Team member Devan Schuneman said that includes more than just equipment.
    “We have to pay for transportation, field time, refs, and more,” Schuneman said. It can be hard to get people to play when the have to pay money just to get on the field.”
    All of the additional cost means the team has to cut corners in some areas. Consequently, they make due without a coach. Although its a big money saver, it can create problems for the girls in leadership roles.
    “It’s hard to get girls to come to practice all the time without a coach,” Schuneman said. “It’s a lot different when me, who’s their same age, gets on them about coming to practice, than if a coach would.”
    It does have its advantages though. The added adversity brings the girls together in a way they might not have with a coach.
    “When there’s no coach, it’s a lot more relaxed,” Schuneman said. “You don’t have to worry about getting yelled at. There’s less stress and it really helps us come together as a team.”
    The Blugolds have one more fall ball game to help hone their skills before spring action begins next semester. For now, its about improving as a team, but when the freeze thaws and they finally take the field again, the final score will count. That’s why fall ball is so essential to the women’s lacrosse team.