New coach, high hopes

When Matt Siverling steps on newly-named Ken Anderson court in Zorn Arena Nov. 28 to take on St. Scholastica (Minn.), he will become the third coach in as many seasons to lead the men’s basketball Blugolds onto the court.

After coach Kyle Green left town for personal reasons at the conclusion of last season, Siverling, the former UW-Superior coach, will take over the duties of head coach starting this season

Siverling said he is going to approach this season one game at a time and not get ahead of himself.

“For us, we just want to show up every day and work as hard as we possibly can to get better,” Siverling said. “I don’t know what our wins and losses are going to be, nor do I want to talk about those right now. It’s all about laying the foundation.”

Senior guard Nick Craggs said he thinks that people overreact to getting a new coach for the third time in three years. On the contrary, it is a different way to look at
    the game.

“A lot of people talk about it like its a problem,” Craggs said. “I just really look at it for a new opportunity, and a new feel for the team … it’s not a hurdle, it’s an opportunity for sure.”

The team will have five seniors on the squad for the first time in awhile, something that senior forward Zac Womeldorf thinks will be good for communication on the court.

“Us five seniors are going to hold each other accountable for everything,” Womeldorf said. “We will hold the younger guys in check … it’s like we have five assistant coaches that get to play the game, and this year that will help out a lot.”

Going into the season, a goal for the team and Womeldorf specifically is not only to make the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference tournament, but to be nationally ranked and to receive a bid to go to the national tournament.

“I have big goals for the team, I need to get to that conference tournament,” Womeldorf said. “That is a priority, I would also love to see us get ranked. We have a great squad with a great opportunity to make good things happen this year.”

Last season the team finished with a 15-11 record, 7-9 record in conference play.

This marks the third straight season that the squad did not make the end of the year conference tournament. This is something that the seniors on this team want to
    accomplish before their athletic eligibility expires after this season.

The season will kick off Nov. 3 with an exhibition game against the University of Sioux Falls (S.D.). Siverling said he thinks that the long bus ride will be a good way for the team to bond and relax a little
    bit together.

“We’re going to be able to take a trip,” Siverling said. “We’re going over there on a Friday, we’re going to spend the night there and use that as a bonding experience, we also have some things on the horizon that we’ll be doing together as a team too.”

WIAC play will start up at Zorn Arena Dec. 1 against UW-La Crosse. Some notable home rivalry games for the
    season will be against UW-Stevens Point Jan. 5 as well as against UW-Whitewater Jan. 26.