Soccer scores victories on two playing fields

The UW-Eau Claire women’s soccer team took home two victories on Sept. 22. The lady Blugolds beat Stevens Point 3-2 in overtime while raising money for Autism Speaks. According to their website, Autism Speaks is, “dedicated to funding research into the causes, prevention, treatments, and a cure for autism.”
    Cookies shaped like puzzle pieces            smothered in blue frosting were sold at the game by sorority members of Alpha Xi Delta along with raffle tickets. The Blugold women’s soccer jerseys were also auctioned off. This all helped raise money for Autism Speaks.
    Public Relations Vice President of Alpha Xi Delta Danae Maier said the soccer team chose an organization to sponsor, and one of the soccer team members set this up. The soccer player happened to be
    roommates with one of the sorority members, so the two worked
    together to get everything rolling.
    “It’s great that the soccer team decided to put on this event and that we were able to help with it,”
    Maier said.
    This was the second time Alpha Xi Delta has participated in an athletic fundraiser though they have participated in other events before. In the spring, they have a teeter-totter-athon. Maier said this raises a lot of awareness on campus and in the community because they put fliers up and they go door-to-door in the community.
    “We hope to raise awareness because autism is a very
    prevalent spectrum of disorder that is out … people are seeing it more and more … something needs to be done. That’s what Alpha Xi Delta and Autism Speaks are working together to do,” Maier said.
    Barely three minutes into the game, junior defender Kara Ryan scored the first goal, and shortly thereafter, senior
    defender Emily Moore also scored, putting the
    Blugolds up 2-0.
    Stevens Point was silent in response until the second half. Having a chance to retaliate, Pointers senior forward Angela Gallow was able to tie the game with two goals, sending the game into
    overtime.
    In the end, it was Eau Claire senior forward Gina Williams who brought the Blugolds home with the win. Her penalty kick with just under a minute of overtime played led the Blugolds to a 3-2 win over the Pointers.
    — Spectator Staff