Sports Recaps

Wrestling

The UW-Eau Claire wrestling team traveled for their second tournament of the season on November 12, playing three different dual matches at Concordia University (Wisc.). While the team had several successful matches, they ultimately fell to Concordia, UW-Platteville and the University of Chicago (Ill.)

The weekend duals began with Univ. of Chicago, where the Blugolds faced a 28-7 loss. When playing Platteville, the scoring improved. While losing again, the Blugolds accrued 14 points; Platteville won with 28.

By the last match against Concordia, Eau Claire held its ground and lost by only one point, 23-22.

Individually, the Blugolds had some successful players. Seniors Matthew Rieckhoff and Joe Pitsch won all three matches. Rieckhoff pinned his opponent less than one minute into the battle, and picked up two decisions against Chicago and Platteville (9-3 and 11-0, respectively).

Senior Levi Polus picked up two decisions in his weight division, and Junior Tyler Kennedy picked up a pin in the Concordia match just under three minutes in.

Next Saturday, the Blugolds travel again to compete at the Augsburg Open. The meet is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. They will continue to travel for the remainder of the semester and will have their first home game during spring semester on February 3.

Cross Country

The UW- Eau Claire Men’s and Women’s cross country teams crossed the finish line into victory at the NCAA Midwest Regional Tournament at North Central College (Ill.).

The Men’s team finished 11 out of 39 in their run at the Saukie Golf Course – North Central College won the 8,000 meter race; Washington University (Mo.) and Oshkosh took second and third, respectively.

Junior Aaron Easker was the top finisher, taking 42of 277 with a time of 25:56, just over a minute behind the first place runner. Juniors Conor Rafferty and Paul Hetke finished within thirty seconds of Easker.

The men will now wait to see if any individuals are selected to compete next weekend at NCAA nationals. The national tournament will be hosted by UW-Oshkosh.

The Women’s team ran on the same turf in Illinois to a second place victory out of 39 teams, giving them an automatic qualify for nationals in Oshkosh this weekend. Washington University took first for women’s, and the University of Chicago (Ill.) took third.

The 6,000 meter race put 264 runners on the golf course, where junior Ashlyn Mauer finished 13 with a time of 22:29, just shy of a minute behind the first place runner (Christy Cazzola of Oshkosh). Sophomore Madi Sawyer and Junior Steph Sjostrom finished within 20 seconds of Mauer, rounding out the top three Blugold finishers.

The women’s team is preparing for Nationals this weekend. They have finished in eighth place or better each of the last four seasons; they took fourth last year while winning the national title the year before.

Men’s and Women’s Swimming

Both the men’s and women’s swim/dive teams dominated UW-Oshkosh last weekend

The men’s team solidified their win with a 159-83 score, nearly twice the amount of points as Oshkosh. The Blugolds won nine total events, including a solid top-five sweep in the 500-freestyle. Sophomore Spencer Rose completed the 500 freestyle in just over five minutes to win.

Rose was also one fourth of the 400-yard medley relay (the others including Junior Corey Groshens, Senior Alex Plaetzer and Sophomore Alex Card) which won the event with a time of 3:43. event.

In individual events, McDade won both the 1,650-yard freestyle and the 200-yard backstroke races and Groshens tallied his two victories in the 200-yard breaststroke and the 400-yard individual medley. Eau Claire also raked in the wins for both the 50 and 100-yard freestyle events.

Junior Nick Badilla was the diver of the weekend, earning two runner-up finishes in the one and three meter dives.

The men will compete this Friday against UW-River Falls. Competition for the event is set to begin at 5:30 p.m.

The women’s team captured seven event wins and over 20 top-three finishes against Oshkosh.

In the 1650 yard race, four Blugolds swept the top spots, with Senior Karen Boosalis winning the event in over 19 minutes.

Both the 400-yard medley and 400 freestyle relays won, completing the races (4:08 and 3:44, respectively).

Individually, the Blugolds fared well against the Titans. Sophomore Chloe Bartuska won the 500 yard freestyle and took second in the 200 freestyle. Seniors Julia Olson and Kia Kraft earned first place in the 50 yard freestyle and individual 400 freestyle, respectively; Kraft won the 200 breaststroke and earned second in the 400 free.

Sophomore Keeley Bensen was the diver of the weekend, earning second and third places in the one and three meter dives.

The Blugolds will next compete at River Falls against UW-River Falls and the University of Minnesota-Moorhead this Friday. Competition is set for 5:30 p.m.