A Q&A with football coach Todd Glaser

The UW-Eau Claire football team wrapped up the 2011 season last Saturday with a win over UW-River Falls to finish the year 5-5. Head Coach Todd Glaser was a defensive lineman for Eau Claire from 1987-1990 and in his 6th season as head coach.  He previously was head coach at Marietta College in Ohio from 2003 to 2005 before being hired here in Eau Claire in March of 2006.  Staff writer Spenser Bickett sat down with head coach Todd Glaser this week to talk about the season and to get to know more about coach Glaser.

Spenser Bickett: What’s the process been like this week after the last game of the year on Saturday?

Coach Glaser: We had our last meeting today as a team and voted on end of the year awards and captains for next year.  Basically, we thanked the seniors for everything they’ve given us and done for us.  Now those guys have to get into the classroom and finish strong with the academics.

SB: With a final record of 5-5, did the season play out the way you wanted it to?

CG: No, I think we wanted to be more successful than we were.  It was a frustrating season; it had some ups and downs, some peaks and some valleys.  We just needed to play a little bit more consistent.  I think players were frustrated too, as well as coaches.   We wanted to play better and we wanted to play for a conference championship. 

SB: How does losing senior wide receivers like David Goodman and Jesse Linsmeyer affect the passing game going into next year?

CG: Other guys have to step up.  We’ve had some great targets with Ryan Moertel, Linsmeyer, Goodman and Matt Olson offensively.  We’re also losing five seniors on our offensive line.  Whenever you lose people, other guys have to step up.

SB: What’s it been like coaching for your alma mater these past six years?

CG: It’s awesome.  My wife and I consider this home and we think it’s a great community and a great university.  I think it’s easy to recruit to because of the type of faculty and staff we have here and the education you can get here.

SB: How does being a former defensive lineman influence your coaching style?

CG: I don’t know if it influences it at all.  I have a special place in my heart for offensive linemen and defensive linemen because I went through that.  I think when you look at great teams they have very good offensive lines and very good defensive lines so we’re always looking for good football players in both those positions.

SB: Who have your coaching role models been?

CG: I had a couple.  I played for a guy named Jim Lind here, and he was the coach here.  A guy that was a big mentor of mine was Link Walker, he coached here for 20 years, both those guys played an important role in how I coach and I coached under guys like Greg Polnasek and Bob Neilson and got a lot of things from them.

SB: What’s your recruiting philosophy been as head coach?

CG: We want quality people, not only good athletes but good kids in the classroom, strong students and strong character kids.  We feel that’s how you win is with good character kids and fortunately, that’s what we have on our team and that’s what we’re always recruiting to.