Volleyball keeps up winning streak

The UW-Eau Claire volleyball team won all of its matches 3-0 on Friday and Saturday, running its current win streak to eight and teaming up the season.

The Lady Blugolds opened the day on Friday facing Benedictine-Springfield (Ill.) and defeating them in tight sets of 25-21, 25-17 and 25-23. They then took down MacMurray College (Ill.) in the next match with a last set of 25-13.

“As a team, we went out there and played our game,” said freshman Alexis Wong, who recorded eight digs against Benedictine-Springfield. “We made our share of errors, but we forgot about them and got the next point — we played as a team and came out on top.”

Sophomore Kelly Schuh agreed.

“I think we could have won by more points, but we weren’t playing as a team,” she said.

Junior Emily Neave led the team with 27 assists in the first match and 16 in the second. She said she thinks the team made a few mistakes that they shouldn’t have in the game against Benedictine-Springfield.

“We always talk about keeping the opponent on the other side of the net and work on not beating ourselves with silly mistakes,” she said.

On Saturday, Neave said Eau Claire faced the “toughest game of the weekend” against Millikin University (Ill.), winning the match in the last game by 27-25.

“We started off with a lead in each game, but with a few unforced errors they came back in the game,” Neave said, who led the Blugolds with 14 digs in the match. “They are a good team, but we knew what to expect from them so we were ready for anything.”

Schuh, who had eight kills in the match, said the game was close but the team worked hard to win it.

“The score from the Milikin game made it look close, but I felt confident the whole match that we were going to win by the way we were playing,” she said. “That win was a much needed win for our team.”

The Blugolds then had an easier time with the last match of the weekend against Lincoln Christian (Ill.) as they won 25-17, 25-17, 25-6.

Neave said Lincoln Christian is another good team, and that the team carried the momentum they had into the next game. For Schuh, the team played very well in the Saturday’s second match.

“Our team played together so well and we pretty much shut the other team down,” Schuh said. “It was fun to finally win a game the way we should be winning.”

As far as the season goes, Neave said the goal is always to host the conference tournament and make it to regionals.

“I think we have already done a lot of improving this season,” she said. “A few weeks ago we all decided that we wanted to win out the rest of the season and I think we are well on our way to achieving that goal.”