AthElites: Austin Neu

Junior Austin Neu is an AthElite. I can tell, can’t you? Well, of course you can’t … yet. You didn’t get the chance to sit down and talk SUPER BOWL!! And by Super Bowl, I mean football. And life … and being Irish. Come join our conversation and learn why he is an AthElite after all!

Emily Gresbrink:

What got you into playing football?

Austin Neu:

Oh, probably my older brother. He’s a big influence on me when I was younger, and just the rest of my friends … I just wanted to keep playing here in college. It’s a lot of fun, a lot of fun.

EG:

How long have you been playing (including college)?

AU:

I think I started when I was in 5thgrade with flag football … I don’t know how many years. A long time, though.

EG:

What would you say is the most challenging part of playing football as a quarterback?

AU

: Probably the amount of study — I’m usually in the coaches office 24/7. And it’s more mental preparation than physical. And football itself — but it’s a lot of fun. I really enjoy it.

EG:

What’s your favorite part of playing for Eau Claire?

AU:

The games – playing at home is the best!

EG

: What do you think makes an AthElite?

AU:

Making smart decisions on and off the field – being good not only on the field but in the classroom as well. Our football program really preaches we’re student athletes, not just athletes. But yeah, obviously hard work and putting in work outside of practice.

EG: Do you fit that?! Be honest.
    AU: I’d like to think that, yeah, for sure.

EG: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
    AU: Oh. I don’t really know – we’re going to Ireland as a football team next year and I’m really looking forward to that. I have an Irish background and Irish family and we love St. Pattys Day, so, yeah, Ireland.

EG: You said you’re going as a team?
    AU: Yeah, we have this thing called global football – we take about 30 or 40 guys over there for 10 days and play games and stuff.

EG: That’s awesome.
    AU: Yeah. It’ll be fun!