Rosenberry Crunch: ‘Spygate’ lawsuit fails

Maybe this is just me, but I think legal issues related to sports aren’t that big of a deal. I don’t think the Supreme Court should focus too much attention on them.

I don’t know, but it seems like there has got to be something better to take up their time. This is why I’m happy to learn that the Supreme Court has refused to hear a case stemming from ‘Spygate’ in 2007.

For those not in the know, I’m obviously not talking about the Valerie Plame incident. I’m referring to the much lighter ordeal involving the New England Patriots and the New York Jets. The Pats taped the Jets signals during a game and got into some trouble for it.

The organization was fined $250,000 and coach Bill Belichick was fined half a million. Sadly, he only could buy like three hoodies for the remainder of the year. The team also lost a draft pick.

Belichick apparently had been doing this for eight years. At least that’s what Pennsylvania Senator Arlen Specter claimed after he spoke to Commissioner Roger Goodell. Unfortunately, Specter’s involvement is not the most ridiculous aspect of this issue.

It’s the fact that a fan decided to sue the Patriots. God bless, America!

He said that Jets fans bought tickets and watched “unfair” games for all those years. Carl Mayer, who is super cool, I’d assume, is being really nice about it, though, because it was a class action lawsuit that would be worth $185 million.

That’s right, every Jets fan benefits. He would be the humanitarian of the year for sure.

In a surprise move, his lawsuit got dismissed as he didn’t prove that he had the right to that money. I’m not sure a law degree is required to know that this was going to happen.
    The Supreme Court has now decided not to hear this case as well, so it is over and done with. Tough break, Carl.

In full disclosure, if I was a Jets fan, I’d have probably wanted this to succeed. I would have punched myself in the face because of that, but I definitely would have wanted this to work out. Who wouldn’t? Of course I wouldn’t have expected it to happen because the lawsuit was really moronic.

Exactly what serious federal issue was at stake here? Sad Jets fans depressing the rest of the nation? It’s upsetting that he thought there was a chance.

Let’s pretend for a second that this was a legitimate lawsuit (this is going to take all of our collective effort). Even then, I don’t think that taping the signals of the other team was a crucial part to winning.

It certainly doesn’t hurt and Belichick and the Patriots were rightfully punished, but even if you know what’s happening, you still have to stop it. It’s not just about knowing the plays, it is about execution.

Thankfully the Supreme Court threw it out, but let’s go back to Arlen Specter and the rest of the legislature.

Congress caring remotely about this is troubling, and I think the same thing in regards to the steroids issue in baseball. Seriously, by dealing with sports, they are missing out on precious squabbling time. Speaking rules aren’t going to argue themselves.

But in all seriousness, elected officials need to worry about healthcare and the economy, not Bill Belichek.

I thoroughly enjoy sports. I occasionally write about sports. I don’t want Congress caring about sports — at least not in the confines of their job. They, like the judicature, have other things to worry about. And don’t need to specifically govern them with these hearings. Seriously, cut it out.

I think Goodell and the other commissioners, maybe with the exception of Gary Bettman, have it covered.

This Supreme Court decision encourages me that I may be right.