Rosenberry Crunch: Play ball! MLB preview

Baseball season is here. Yes, there’s still snow on the ground, but we can’t wait around for Wisconsin to not be a jerk. It’s time for homers, strikeouts, spitting and $10 hot dogs.

Let us take a look at some of the interesting things that will happen this year. Or, at least, what I think will happen. Hopefully, I won’t look like an idiot in October! (See the Final Four. Woof.)

The Brewers
    I’m a Brewers fan, but typically I expect very little from them. I have more faith in my dunking ability. However, I think they can not only make the playoffs this year, but also make a run for the division. That’s right, my brain has fallen out of my head.

It may be rough until Greinke can get healthy and until Marcum’s shoulder gets better, but I believe we finally have the pitching staff to be successful this year. It’s nice to see management is making an effort. Now if you will excuse me, I have to go consume a tub of antacids.

NL Wild Card race
    It may be a mess this year. Each division should have a strong contender for the final playoff spot. I think it could come from the Central if the Brewers do what I think they can.

Again, this is giving me some heartburn because the Braves are crawling out of the hole they were in a couple years ago — OK, it was a relatively small hole, and the Braves will be perpetually good, but I think you get my point.

Also, I think San Diego can still do some good things despite losing Adrian Gonzalez.

The Phillies pitching staff
    Obviously, this is an insane staff. There have been few better, and it’s going to be hard to score on these guys this year. Their Nos. 1-4 starters all had ERAs under 3.18 last season.

If you threw one of these guys on any team, the team will be better.

The only iffy starter will be Joe Blanton and he could have been the third starter on last year’s Brewers.

The issue is that this isn’t a young crew so the playoffs may be trouble and they aren’t inundated with lefties, but this should be a dominant regular season staff.

AL East will score
    This was the most potent division last year with four of their five teams in the top six in runs. Even the Orioles will score more, and I could have batted fifth on that team last year.

The Red Sox could score 900 runs this year. Adding Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford to an already stacked team is nauseating (maybe I should go to a doctor).

Also, the Yankees are still the Yankees. Honestly, both of these teams could fix our deficit. There, call me Dr. Economy, because I just solved our problems.

One World Series team could return, another won’t
    The one that could go back would be the Giants. They showed last year that scoring was beneath them and still won the thing because Lincecum is as unstoppable as his hair is long.

The same can be said about Brian Wilson, except about his beard. Growing hair is pretty sweet and all, but seriously, these guys have more hair than most dogs.

Also, when Brandon Belt is called up they could start to score some runs, too. This will be a tough team.

I don’t feel the same way about the Rangers.

Sure they are in a weak division and have a good chance of making the playoffs, but I think mostly they were doing it on emotion and playing the best baseball any of them have ever played last postseason.

NL Triple Crown
    There are three different players who could get this. Joey Votto, Carlos Gonzalez and, of course, Albert Pujols.

All three were really close last year, but I think Joey Votto has the best chance, since I doubt Gonzalez will hit for the same average again.
    They could cancel each other out, but it should be a fun race.

Phew, this should be a good yet stressful season. Excuse me while I lie down.