Gymnastics team takes sixth at WIAC Championship

The Blugolds gymnastics team finished sixth out of eight teams in last Saturday’s WIAC Championships and National Collegiate Gymnastics Association (NCGA) West Region qualifier held at UW-Stout’s Johnson Fieldhouse.

The competition was close with all eight teams scoring within ten total points of each other. Across the four events (vault, uneven parallel bars, balance beam and floor exercise), UW-Whitewater took home their second straight conference title (scoring 189.275). UW-La Crosse took second (186.325) and UW-Stout took third (184.150). Other teams competing included Winona State (Minn., fourth place), Hamline (Minn., fifth place), Gustavus Adolphus College (Minn., seventh place) and UW-Oshkosh (eighth place).

Whitewater, La Crosse and Stout will compete at the NCGA Championships along with the Blugolds, who scored 182.725 points. Their conference score was their second highest total of the season and the best score ever achieved at a WIAC Championship meet.

In the vault event, senior Sarah Hulbert took 12th and sophomore Danielle Schulzetenburg finished in the top 20 (out of 48 total competitors).

For uneven parallel bars, Freshman Olivia Aschenbrenner tied for 11th. Freshman Michaela McCamey and sophomore Cece Solem placed in the top 20.

In balance beam, Schulzetenberg took fifth place and sophomore Molly Senske placed top 20.

In the fourth and final event, floor exercise, Schulzetenberg had a three-way tie for third place and Solem again took a top 20 spot.

Schulzetenberg was the Blugold’s top finisher in all-around finishing in 6th place with 37.100 (her career’s highest score), and Aschenbrenner took 12th.

Additionally, sophomore team co-captian Lanai Peer was named to the WIAC All-Sportsmanship Team.

UW-Eau Claire will close the season by hosting the NCGA National Championships on Friday, March 25 at 4:30 p.m. and Saturday, March 26 at 3:30 p.m. in the McPhee Physical Education Center. Student tickets are $7 for one day and $10 for both days; adult tickets are $10 for one day and $15 for both.