Quite Frankly: The best quarterbacks in Fantasy

I have a friend who likes to drink on the weekends and it often leads to him making poor decisions with the ladies.

Countless times I have woken up the next morning to this guy telling me he made another regrettable decision with a girl. I don’t know if it’s the poor lighting at the bars, or something in the air, or if he just feels a sense of accomplishment afterwards, but he uses poor judgment on the weekends.

It’s not that he regrets the act, it’s that he regrets whom he chose.

Not doing enough research about the players on your Fantasy team will get you in a similar situation. It’s important to make sure you know exactly what you’ve got so that you don’t make any regrettable decisions.

To help with that, I’ve ranked the top ten quarterbacks who I think will score the most points the rest of the way (check out my columns from the last two weeks online if you’re interested in seeing my running back or wide receiver rankings).

1. Philip Rivers, Chargers

It’s getting pretty hard to think of superlatives for Rivers that haven’t already been used before. He is tied for the league lead with 19 touchdowns and has thrown for at least 100 yards more than anyone else.

Keep in mind that all of this has come with a group of scrubs as his supporting cast. Vincent Jackson should finally be suiting up soon after holding out, new star Malcolm Floyd has missed three straight games, and even stud tight end Antonio Gates missed the last game.

Everyone is just starting to get healthy and it’s scary thinking about what Rivers is capable of doing with everyone back. That is, unless he’s on your team.

2. Peyton Manning, Colts

Come on, it’s Peyton Manning. As long as he’s playing he is always going to be near the top of this list. And he never gets hurt, so he’s always playing.

Manning just continues to do his thing every year where he takes a bunch of no-name receivers and makes them famous. No offense to Pierre Garcon or Austin Collie, but Manning is the only reason anybody knows who they are.

Even though he tallied just seven points last week, I am far from worried. Everyone knows that Manning just gets hotter as the year goes on, and I don’t think this season is any different.

3. Kyle Orton, Broncos

Yes, this is the same Kyle Orton who was chased out of Chicago because they wanted an “elite” quarterback. Well, it turns out Orton may have actually been that quarterback they were looking for.

I’ve proclaimed my love for Orton in this column already this season, and even traded for him in the league I pay the most attention to.

Here’s what you need to know about him: the Broncos throw the ball 9,357 times a game and he is guaranteed to put up Fantasy stats because of it.

Start believing.

4. Michael Vick, Eagles

Yes, I know he scored 49 points on Monday. And yes, I do know that was the third greatest Fantasy performance of all-time. There is no question that Vick has explosive potential; my questions about him stem more from his injury-prone history.

Before he went to jail he was known for constantly being banged up, and has already missed three and a half games this year from injuries. Vick is undoubtedly playing the best football of his career; I’m just worried his body might keep him from fulfilling his true potential.

5. Drew Brees, Saints

Just like with Manning, it’s hard to argue against Brees. He just has too much talent and has been too consistent throughout his career for me not to have him in the top 5.

Even with his “off” performance to start the season, he still has the third most passing touchdowns and fourth most passing yards. Keep in mind he has done this all without a running game and defenses being able to key in just on him.

That might be changing soon though with Reggie Bush coming back this week and Pierre Thomas getting healthier. Things can only get better for Brees.

Best of the rest
    6. Aaron Rodgers, Packers
    7. Tom Brady, Patriots
    8. Eli Manning, Giants
    9. Josh Freeman, Buccaneers
    10. Joe Flacco, Ravens