Volleyball ends week on a high note

The Blugolds won two of their first three WIAC games of the year this week.

One of their victories was a dominating performance against UW-Stout on the 15th (3-0) in which they had 30 more kills than their opponent and dispatched them in just over an hour.

They also beat UW-Stevens Point on the 18th (3-1). After their second set loss, in which they committed 10 of their 16 errors, they pulled it together and won consecutive sets.

Senior libero Blair Murphy explained the strategy after that second set.

“We were aggressive, but smart and aggressive,” she said. “… putting the ball in play, but being smart when we put it in play.”

The team had 95 kills and 26 attacking errors in their two wins.

One tough loss was sandwiched in between victories on Friday against UW-Whitewater (no. 8) in which the Blugolds lost three sets to one.

That match produced many hard-fought battles for points and the ladies battled throughout much to the pleasure of the home crowd, but were unable to defeat The Warhawks.

Senior outside hitter Rachel Ver Voort pointed out the importance of focusing on the next game after that loss.

“We don’t want to take last night’s loss and be thinking about that during our match today.”

Head Coach Kim Wudi added that it is tough to lose a difficult match like they did against Whitewater, but the team was able to stay calm and defeat UW-Stevens Point the next day.

Murphy agreed with her teammate and coach about the team forgetting about the hard loss and moving on.

Wudi also stressed that the team can defeat the likes of Whitewater or the other two teams they lost to this year – the University of St. Thomas (Minn.) and Carthage College (Minn.) – but in order to do so, they need a different mindset.

Murphy spoke of the team’s mentality they have at present.

“We hope not to lose instead of going out wanting to win, and taking it to people, ” she said.

The team may not be as aggressive as it would like, but protects it’s side of the net. Murphy cites this defense as a core strength of the team.

The Blugolds out-dug their opponents 181-145 this week including a differential of 19 against Stevens Point. Murphy produced 69 of them to lead the team.

Ver Voort said that their defensive effort was able to generate lots of points for the Blugolds against Stevens Point.

“… staying aggressive on defense and then turning that around to kills on our offense.”

Ver Voort had 17 of these kills to lead the team against Stevens Point and 32 total in three games this week, which also lead the team. The Blugolds had 134 total kills on this home stand.

The team plays at UW-Superior on Wednesday and then has over a week off until they play at UW-Platteville and at UW-La Crosse the first weekend of October.

There is more season to play after this first week, but Wudi is encouraged with the start of their conference play.

“Our conference is tough and so to be on the top side, to be two and one, I’m happy with that.”