Quite Frankly: Dealing with Fantasy injuries

Injuries suck. Not to mention, they turn me into Cranky Frankie.

One thing that can hold back any solid team from a successful season is the injury bug. Unfortunately though, there is no type of repellent for this pest. And, what if you’ve already been bitten by it?

Instead of encouraging you to cover yourself with some potent (and smelly!) spray, I’ve come up with some potential solutions that might actually help.

Overall, the best place to look for replacements on your Fantasy team are the actual replacements that will take your player’s spot on the field. If your running back gets hurt (Ryan Grant anyone?), then go find out which one of their teammates is going to be taking the majority of their reps on the field.

Since this player is put into the exact same system and surrounded with the exact same players, it’s not unreasonable to expect similar numbers from a replacement. Obviously they will drop off some, but only to an extent.

Not to mention, backups are typically available in just about every league. The quickest fix for an injured Fantasy player is always to replace them with their replacement in real life.

If someone already took the replacement you were looking for, don’t worry! I’ve compiled a list of players that are still available in many standard ESPN leagues still (in parenthesis is the percentage of leagues which the player is owned as of Wednesday). I’m not guaranteeing consistent production, but if you’re just looking for a band-aid, these may be your guys.

Peyton Hillis, RB, Browns (18.7%)

Ok, I admit that last week I had Hillis’ teammate, Jerome Harrison, listed as the sleeper at RB for this team. Clearly I was wrong. Hillis got the ball just as much, and his coaches clearly prefer his bulkier frame. He scored 14 points last week and has an appealing matchup against the Chiefs on Sunday.

Brandon Jackson, RB, Packers (69.8%)

Since Grant is out for the year, Jackson is now a legit starting back in the league. I read multiple reports before the year began about how Jackson was up for the task in this exact situation. If for some reason he’s still available, get him NOW.

Michael Vick, QB, Eagles (39.4%)

Wow. I hate to say it, but watching Vick shred the Packer’s defense last Sunday reminded me of his Pro Bowl years. He tallied 23 points off the bench against their solid defense. I don’t care how old he is; he looks fresh (I guess prison-ball must not be too demanding). With Kevin Kolb still out this week, Vick is scheduled to start.

Nate Washington, WR, Titans (15.3%)

Washington looks like he’s Vince Young’s favorite target so far this season. Young doesn’t get nearly enough credit for his hurling abilities either. Washington got to enjoy the ride last week with 88 yards and a touchdown. Look for another big week from him.

Brandon Lloyd, WR, Broncos (4.6%)

I know it’s early, but Lloyd appears primed to take over as the Broncos No. 1 receiver this season. He made catches early and often last week and doesn’t have much competition now that Brandon Marshall is gone. He had 16 points last week in PPR leagues and that was without a touchdown! He won’t be able to stay out of the end zone for long.

Mercedes Lewis, TE, Jaguars (17.7%)

He knotted two touchdowns last week as a tight end! His QB clearly trusts him in the red zone, and he should be a consistent starter for the rest of the way.