Midwest Matchup: Brewers vs. Twins

Brewers
    By Zach Bowers

The Milwaukee Brewers are indeed better than the Minnesota Twins.

Looking at team history, current wins and losses and talent there is a disparity in favor of the Twins. However, in terms of swagger and entertainment value on and off the field the Brewers reign supreme.

First of all, swagger is something rarely seen in baseball. Baseball victories tend to involve a couple of handshakes, a slow trot around the bases or a fist pump.

But, Ryan Braun notoriously flew his arms out like an airplane as he soared around the bases after hitting a walk-off home run. Prince Fielder jumps on home plate after hitting a walk-off homer and his teammates tumble like bowling pins. That is swagger at its finest.

The Brewers batters know they are better than you and will not hesitate in rubbing their success in other team’s faces.

Secondly, the Brewers bring an exciting off-the-field experience. For example, the Miller Park parking lot. People play catch, grill food, and drink beer. This is called a tailgate party and there are consistently 30,000 people partaking in it for every Brewer game.

Yes, Target Field is a beautiful stadium, but before the actual game, it’s boring. You park in parking garages, get hot dogs from a vendor and dodge traffic instead of playing catch.

Finally, the Brewers on-the-field entertainment remains high despite poor win-loss records. At every game it’s likely there will be a home run. Their players have such endearing nicknames as “The Hebrew Hammer” and “Dave Bush Light”.

The entertainment even extends to the broadcast booth. Brian Anderson and Bill “The Rock” Schroeder are two great announcers using such entertaining phrases as, “A couple bloops and a bomb and the Brewers are right back in this one.”

On the radio broadcasts Bob Uecker is a historical figure with a knack for humor like no one else.

The Brewers have had little success as an actual baseball team, but there is a reason they still draw three million fans a year. They are the most entertaining team in baseball and are obviously better than their Minnesota counter parts.

Twins
    By Emily Gresbrink

Ever since I was a small child, my dedication has been to the Minnesota Twins. It’s been this way since they won the 1991 World Series on my first birthday! Speaking of World Series … how about those Brewers not winning any and only making three playoff berths in forty-some years?

All right, let us go about this matchup in a civil fashion. The Minnesota Twins are exponentially better than the Milwaukee Brewers. Everything just points in favor of our boys in the Cities!

First, we will start with the fans. Almost every game so far at Target Field has been sold out, thus each game has been well attended. Thousands of fans bring signs supporting their favorite player and there is rarely a person without a jersey or shirt bearing the numbers of their favorite players, both retired and current alike.

Not to mention Twins fans and players are very charitable! Recently, Michael Cuddyer represented the team for the Major League’s participation in the Pepsi Refresh Project. Being “Minnesota nice,” Cuddyer asked fans to vote for the project to build a baseball park for children with disabilities. The fans voted, and the Twins won the project money. Bam!

Now onto the stadium. Yeah, Brew Crew … you may have Miller Park and a crazy slide in there with dudes dressed up like hot dogs, but nothing can come close to the pristine class of Target Field. In fact, Target Field was recently voted the best ballpark in America by ESPN magazine. It may have taken us awhile to get back to outdoor baseball, but we sure did it with pizzazz and style!

Okay, okay. Now onto the part that matters: the skill of the team. We have some of the best players in the Majors, right in the heart of the Twin Cities. Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Jim Thome, Jason Kubel, Jon Rauch, Orlando Hudson, Delmon Young, Michael Cuddyer, Nick Punto, Joe Nathan, and the list goes on and on. The Twins are currently ranked number one in their division. Brewers? Fourth … yikes. Twins have won 85 games and lost 58 (as of Tuesday night). Brewers? Won 66, and lost 77. Again, yikes!

The truth here is the stats do not lie. The fans are wholesome and dedicated. The players can actually play baseball. Moreover, my friends, when you get right down to it … it’s not bragging if it isn’t true!