Women’s golf second at-home invite

Posted at 12:30 p.m., Tuesday, May 4

Despite facing windy conditions in its last regular season event, the Blugold women’s golf team captured second place at the UW-Eau Claire Spring Invitational last weekend.

The first-team Blugolds totaled 647 strokes en route to the second-place finish. This was 63 strokes above par and 20 strokes behind winner Gustavus Adolphus’ (Minn.) team score. St. Olaf College (Minn.) rounded out the top three teams, while Eau Claire’s second team finished fourth with 675 stokes.

While coach John Means said it was a good finish for Eau Claire, the team had a different idea heading into the weekend.

“It was our goal to win and beat Gustavus,” he said, adding it was the Blugolds’ last chance to beat the Golden Gusties before the NCAA Division III tournament. “They (Gustavus) have been playing awfully well.”

Means added he was impressed with the performance of the second-team Blugolds against schools who have previously had or have now the chance to compete in the NCAA tournament.

Leading the individual Blugolds was senior Torie Ives, who finished sixth in the standings with a two-day total of 161 strokes, just eight over that of the individual winner. While the Gustavus team claimed the top three individual spots, Eau Claire had solid representation as well. Sophomore Lauren Gault finished seventh with 163 strokes, and five more Blugold golfers placed between the 11th and 14th spots, including ties.

Freshman Catherine Wagner said playing at Eau Claire gave the Blugolds some advantage during the rounds at Wild Ridge.

“It’s hilly, with a lot of blind shots,” she said about the course. “Playing at this course, we knew more than the other teams.”

Means said the extra knowledge paid dividends in the scores.

“That’s worth a couple of strokes each day,” he said.

It was windy in Eau Claire over the weekend, and while it’s too early to accurately forecast the weather for the next event, Wagner said the adverse conditions were good practice.

“It was a great experience overall playing in the wind,” she said, adding how it was nice the team was still able to finish so well.

While the regular season may be finished, the Blugolds are definitely not done golfing. After a weekend off, the team will be one of 20 heading to Florida to compete in the NCAA tournament. The tournament is a four-day event beginning Tuesday at the Mission Inn Resort at Howey-in-the-Hills.

To prepare, Wagner said the team will focus on basic techniques of the game in order to improve overall.

“We’ll work on the little things to put everything together,” she said.

While Methodist College (N.C.) was one of the tough teams the Blugolds were looking forward to playing, Gustavus Adolphus has made its way into consideration as well, Means said.

While Means said he is eager for the team to compete in the tournament, he said the success of the Blugolds is a sign of what is to come next season.

“Overall, the entire ten players have had huge success,” he said. “It bodes well for next year. I’m excited for the tournament, but I’m equally – if not more – excited for next year.”