Blugold gymnastics falls to La Crosse twice, takes second at three-team invite on Feb. 5

Before the UW-Eau Claire gymnastics team started at an invite on Feb. 5 in La Crosse, freshman Molly Senske said the team had high hopes to beat UW-Oshkosh because the Titans are at the same level as Eau Claire.

“It was really exciting to go into a meet . knowing that we had a chance,” she said.

The team recorded a season-best score of 175.350, finishing in second place at the 29th Annual Gershon/McLellan Invitational. They finished about five points below first place winner and host UW-La Crosse. Oshkosh came in at a close third with 174.500.
    Senske said that the event of the night for the teams was vault, as everyone hit it successfully.

“We all stood up on vault, so that was really good,” she said.

After the meet at La Crosse, Senske said the team wants to go into following meets with more focus that lasts through the meet for the competitors and viewers.

However, going into the Feb. 12 John Zuerlein Invite at UW-Stout, Senske said she knew it was going to be tough going up against Oshkosh again because at the previous meet they had been so close.

At Stout, Senske said the uneven bars were the Blugolds best event of the meet, adding that bars is always a tough event.

Freshman Danielle Schulzetenberg agreed, adding that most of the team performed well on bars and it was an exciting event to watch. The Blugolds highest event finish of the night was in bars with freshman RachelAnn Behmer’s score of 8.975. She tied for second overall.

At the end of Friday’s meet, Senske said the team was a little disappointed, thinking if they had a good meet, they could be on the same level as Oshkosh and Stout. Eau Claire took fourth place at UW-Stout, with a score of 174.125, about seven points below first-place winner UW-La Crosse. Stout took second with 177.000, with Oshkosh in third with 176.375.

Also, Senske said, they did not expect host UW-Stout to do as well as they did.

“They did amazing,” she said. “They haven’t hit like that yet this season.”

Schulzetenberg said she thinks the team just needs to become more confident in their skills.
    “They all can do them in the gym,” she said. “It’s just getting that confidence out . and hitting routines.”

However, Senske added they’re looking forward to their next meet on Thursday.

“It just gives us more motivation to work hard in the gym and do better next time,” she said.

The Blugolds will head to Minnesota on Thursday for a dual meet against Gustavus Adolphus College at 7 p.m.