Women’s hockey falls to fourth in conference

The UW-Eau Claire women’s hockey team had a shot at history with last Friday’s game against UW-Stevens Point. However, that opportunity resulted in a 3-1 loss to the 8th-ranked Pointers.

Sophomore Kristin Faber scored her team-leading 12th goal in the final seconds of the game, though the Blugolds finished 1-1-1 against Stevens Point this season.

“It was one of those games where we played really well and just couldn’t get the right

bounces,” senior team captain Margaret Campbell said.

“People are injured and sick, and it’s just a short bench,” Campbell added. “Especially playing against a good team, we did an awesome job and we just couldn’t get on top.”

Campbell herself is among the injured reserve, suffering a broken arm from earlier this season.

Though the loss was a setback, the Blugolds are still unbeaten at home, and four of the final six regular-season games will be held at Hobbs Ice Center.

“We do know we have a home advantage, but we’ll work hard to keep it that way,” Campbell said.

Freshman Morgan Piper picked up just her second loss of the season between the pipes for Eau Claire, stopping 27 of the 30 shots she faced.

This Friday and Saturday, the Blugolds will host Lake Forest, (Ill.) in a two game series.

Eau Claire lost to the Foresters earlier this season in a 3-4 overtime game.

Saturday’s game will also be Senior Night, where the Blugold seniors will be recognized. Both games begin at 7 p.m.

The loss pushed Eau Claire down to fourth place in the Northern Collegiate Hockey Association, behind UW-Superior, UW-Stevens Point and UW-River Falls.

The final four games of the season will be a “last chance” scenario for the Blugolds as they face the Yellowjackets and the Falcons.

“It adds some pressure, but overall we’re happy where we are,” Campbell said, “and we know we have to play well the rest of the season.”