Women’s golf finishes third

Over the past weekend the UW-Eau Claire women’s golf team competed in its first event since early October. The team traveled to Waverly, Iowa to compete with ten other teams.

On the first day, the Blugolds shot 335, good enough for second place – six behind first place Gustavus Adolphus (Minn.).

The Blugolds shot a 337 on the second day. Their combined 672 was good enough for third place overall. Gustavus Adolphus finished first with 648 strokes and Illinois Wesleyan finished second after shooting a 666, six fewer strokes than the Blugolds shot.

Senior Meghan Sobotta was the highest Blugold finisher at the event after shooting a 75 on Saturday and a 79 on Sunday. Sobotta, who took first at the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Championship, tied for the best score overall, but lost a playoff and finished second.

Sophomore Torie Ives, who was tied for second place after she shot an 80 on Saturday, finished with 156 strokes and one spot behind Sabotta. Ives shot a 76 on Sunday.

Sophomore Bri Obermueller tied for 23rd place after shooting a 178. On Saturday, Obermueller shot an 87, and on Sunday she shot a 91.

Senior Sarah Hansen tied for 37th place after shooting a 187. Hansen shot a 96 on Saturday, and on Sunday she shot a 91.

Freshman Katie Swift finished in 41st place with her 189 strokes, two more strokes than Hansen. Swift shot a 93 on Saturday and a 96 on Sunday.

The Blugolds compete next in two weeks in the Illinois Wesleyan Spring Fling in Bloomington. The team will then conclude its season a week after that at the Blugold Spring Invitational, which will be held at the Mill Run Golf Course, 3905 Kane Road.