Men’s tennis team finishes 2-1 over weekend in Oshkosh

The UW-Eau Claire men’s tennis team wrapped up its regular season this weekend with a win-loss-win record in its triple match-ups at UW-Oshkosh on Friday and Saturday. The team beat UW-La Crosse 6-3 before suffering their first loss in 13 straight matches to UW-Whitewater, 7-2. The Blugolds bounced back on Saturday for a 7-2 victory over the hosting school, earning a 25-4 record for the season.

Junior Kevin Fawcett said the team wasn’t too down about its loss to Whitewater, since the team is ranked 30th nationally.

“We didn’t have super high expectations going into it,” Fawcett said. “But we saw that we could definitely compete with them.

“It didn’t go perfect(ly), but we played pretty well.”

Fawcett contributed to the weekends’ wins with victories in his singles matches against both Lacrosse and Whitewater, though he dropped below his Whitewater opponent. Paired with freshman Lars Olson, Fawcett defeated Whitewater in second doubles but lost his other two doubles match-ups.

Sophomore Phil Loprinzi and junior Steve Lantz in first doubles were the only pair to go undefeated for the weekend, taking down all three opponents.

No Blugold beat a Warhawk opponent in singles. However, Eau Claire went 6-0 in singles matches against Oshkosh. Four Blugolds also picked up singles wins over La Crosse – senior Erik Brandner, senior CJ Rose, Loprinzi and Fawcett.

Freshman Aaron Johnson said the two doubles matches he lost over the weekend were close, but he and his 3rd doubles partner, Rose, still pulled off an 8-5 win in the Eau Claire-Lacrosse match-up.

The Blugolds will find out next week whether or not the team will be accepted into the national tournament, Fawcett said. He added that right now Eau Claire is “right on the edge,” but even if the team doesn’t advance, the athletes are still satisfied with their successful season.

“There have been a few ups and downs,” Fawcett said. “But . it was a lot of fun.”

Fawcett said the team’s coach, Tom Gillman, who couldn’t be reached for comment, told the team he hadn’t seen Eau Claire tennis win as much as it did this season.

“It’s a good year,” Johnson agreed. “We won a lot of matches and got a lot of matches played.”