Hockey falls to Pointers

The Blugolds lost their sixth and seventh games of the season to UW-Stevens Point over the weekend, losing 3-1 both Friday and Saturday night. They now drop to 5-4-0 in the WIAC and 8-8-0 overall.

Despite the losses on paper, the ‘Golds played well against the No. 3 ranked team in the nation, coach Mike Collins said.

Having always been defeated in past meetings against Stevens Point, the ladies played very well, he added.

“I thought we did a great job of competing,” he said. “The scores were very competitive.”

Friday night the ‘Golds got on the board in the third period with an unassisted goal by sophomore Michelle Stohr.

Despite being outshot, freshman Danika Porter proved to be a force in the net stopping 34 of 37 Pointer shots on goal.

Collins said goaltending over the weekend was extremely strong and that it was the first time that goal tending was consistently strong both games.

Saturday was different, junior Margaret Campbell said.

“It was a lot more physical play, which I thought the girls handled really well,” she said.

The Pointers took an early lead with a power play in the first period. Sophomore Megan Wurdelman got the ‘Golds on the board and tied the score with her first goal of the season at 15:34 in the first period as well. The Pointers scored two more times on power plays in the second and third periods.

Despite the Pointer power plays, Collins said he is more concerned about the Blugold offense than its special teams. Of the three Pointer power plays resulting in goals, one was a deflection and the other two were controversial shots, he said.

“I know it’s better than how it looks on the score sheet,” he said.

Of the nine games left in the season, the team is preparing to face some tough competition, Campbell said.

Collins agreed.

“There are no nights off, so to speak,” he said.

To prepare for the rest of the season, Collins said the team will be working on its offensive strategy.

“We need to find a way to generate more offense,” he said.

Eau Claire will face off against Finlandia 7 p.m. tomorrow at Hobbs Ice Arena.