Cross country teams finish with mixed results

The NCAA Midwest Regional, hosted by UW-Oshkosh Saturday at Lake Breeze Golf Course in Winneconne, resulted in some different outcomes for both the men’s and women’s team.

The women extended their season after finishing second of 37 teams, while the men fell just short, dropping to No. 16 of 35 teams and ending their 2007 season.

Women

Washington University won the event with a team score of 41 points. Eau Claire followed with 87 points and was the first-place finisher for the WIAC.

Four of the Blugolds’ top five runners placed in the top 25. Leading the way was junior Beth Lutz, who finished in fourth place overall with a time of 21 minutes, 27 seconds.

Following Lutz was junior Mary Palmer, who ran a 21:44 and came in at No. 7 overall. Clocking in at 22:04 was Molly Warner, who ran in for a No. 16 overall finish.

Sophomore Hannah Humbach placed No. 24 overall with a time of 22:24.

Men

The Blugolds’ top four finishers ran as follows:

Sophomore Chris Wirtz finished first for Eau Claire, placing No. 63 overall and running a 25:37. Following Wirtz was junior Andy Warren, who ran a 26:12 and placed No. 90 overall.

With a 26:14, junior Tony Carr came in at No. 94, and was followed by sophomore Max Renner, who finished at No. 96 after recording a 26:17.