Sports Shorts

Women’s tennis
    The UW-Eau Claire women’s tennis team competed in the three-day Wilson/Intercollegiate Tennis Association Midwest Regional Championships hosted by Luther College (Iowa) over the weekend.
    Junior Sarah Riordan, freshman Gina Dahl and junior Kristie Carlson were the three Blugolds that competed in the 64-player singles bracket.

Riordan was the only player to advance to the second round as she won by default over Amanda Wenzell of Macalester College (Minn.). However, Riordan was defeated in the second round by Jessie Farrar of UW-Whitewater 6-1, 6-2.

Senior Laura Geissler won her first two matches to advance to the quarterfinals at the Luther Fall Classic, which was open to players who didn’t compete in the ITA. Geissler defeated Hannah Goldberg of Carleton College (Minn.) 6-2, 6-2 in the first round. She then beat Katherine Smith of UW-Whitewater in the second round 6-0, 6-2.

On the second day of the ITA, the Blugolds had two doubles teams competing in a field of 33 pairs.

The team of Geissler and Riordan won their first match Sunday over the team from Coe College (Iowa) 8-2. Geissler and Riordan then won their second match over the team from Luther by a score of 8-6.

Their run ended, however in the quarterfinals when they lost to the top-seeded team from Carthage College 8-2.

The other Blugold doubles team in competition was the duo of Carlson and freshman Brenna McCormick. They lost their
    opening round match 8-2 against Cornell
    College (Iowa).

The Blugolds will continue their season Friday night at the McPhee Center against UW-Steven’s Point.

Women’s golf
    Due to inclement weather and poor course conditions, the first round of the Div. III Midwest Classic was cancelled and moved to a one-day, 18-hole format Sunday at the Troy Burne Golf Club.

At the end of the tournament, the Blugolds placed fourth out of 15 teams with a score of 346 (+58).

Gustavus Adolphus (Minn.) won the event with a score of 334 (+46). Finishing just one shot off in second was Wartburg College (Iowa) with a score of 335 (+47) and the University of St. Thomas (Minn.) finished with a score of 342 (+54), which was good enough for third place.

Senior Jesse Thompson was the highest Blugold finisher with a score of 84 (+12). Thompson finished in seventh place overall. Freshman Kate Borman was the next highest Blugold with a score of 86 (+14). Borman finished tied for 16th place.

Finishing in a tie for 19th place was freshman Torie Ives, who shot an 87 (+15).

Junior Meghan Sobotta finished in a tie for 22nd place after she posted a score of 89 (+17). Junior Kim Huber had a score of 91 (19), which was good enough for a 27th place tie.

The Blugolds will compete in the WIAC Championships on Oct. 7 and 8 in Watertown.

– Spectator staff