Record-setting day ends season

Nicole Robinson

The UW-Eau Claire football team finished the season Saturday at Carson Park on a high note, defeating UW-Platteville 30-14 and picking up a 6-4 record overall. After beginning the season 1-3, the ‘Golds won five of their six final games and finished in second place in the WIAC.

Although there were no playoffs in sight for the team, Saturday’s game was more than just another game. Three individual records were broken, and Coach Todd Hoffner moved into a tie for second for most wins as coach in Blugold football history.

Seniors Jesse Krzyzanowski and Darin Krzyzanowski both were able to set individual records. Jesse Krzyzanowski , a senior quarterback, set the record for most completions in a season at 214. The previous record, held by John Clark, was 199 and had been in place for 16 years. Jesse Krzyzanowski also set the record for completion percentage in a single season, at 64.7 percent. His brother Darin Krzyzanowski, a senior wide receiver, set the school’s single-season reception record with 61 on the year.

“I’m really happy for them,” senior Brent Tieri said. “They’ve worked really hard throughout their careers, and it was nice to see them recognized in their final game.”

“To be able to do that their senior year was pretty cool,” senior Luke Plese said of the Krzyzanowski brothers’ record-setting game. “It was a sentimental feeling on senior day, and everyone wanted to win it for all of the seniors.”

Senior Joe Gast led the rushing attack in his final game for the ‘Golds. Gast scored two touchdown runs of five and two yards out, finishing the day with an 88-yard rushing total.

Sophomore Chris Hull scored the final touchdown of the season on a pass from Jesse Krzyzanowski from 10 yards out.

Tieri, a senior safety, led the defense with 11 tackles in his last game. Tieri also was quick to point out the great game the special teams had.

“Our special teams play was really good,” he said. “We had a blocked punt, which resulted in a touchdown and a blocked extra point.”

Sophomore kicker Mitch Schaeuble also backed up Tieri’s statement of the special teams having a big day, as he kicked in three field goals from 33 yards, 28 yards and 29 yards.

Senior Derek Sikora said the team knew it didn’t have a shot at the playoffs, but still wanted to go out on top by playing hard and having fun. He also said the team will continue to be strong going into next year.

“Things are looking up for them,” Sikora said. “There were some guys that were hurt that will be returning and have a lot of leadership. There is a winning tradition really starting here.”

Tieri also has high hopes for next season’s team.

“Our goal was conference championship,” he said. “That didn’t happen, but we finished strong and hopefully the guys coming back can take that momentum into next year.”