Women take fourth, men seventh at WIAC finale

Chris Kemp

For senior Jen Stafslien, her senior track season started to come to a close at the same place it began – La Crosse.

Stafslien, who began her track career as a freshman at UW-La Crosse, smashed UW-Eau Claire records and received women’s track athlete of the meet Saturday at the WIAC Championships in La Crosse.

While happy about her performance, Stafslien described competing on Saturday as bittersweet.

“It was sad because that’s what we work for all season, and I’ll never get to do that again,” she said.

Stafslien helped lead the women’s outdoor track and field team to fourth place out of nine teams at the championships by snagging second-place finishes in three events and a first-place finish in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 14.48. La Crosse won the meet with 177 points, while Eau Claire earned 97 points for its fourth-place finish.

Stafslien said even though she had won the event a year earlier, she still felt anxious before the 100-meter hurdles race.

“I was very nervous, I am every year,” she said. “But this year it was really competitive and I was defending my title … I wanted to go out on top. I wanted to improve and end on my best year.”

The senior remained surprised when she heard her time, which tied the WIAC record.

“I never imagined that I would be able to run that fast before,” she said.

Stafslien also placed second in the long jump and matched her own school record in the triple jump, which she also placed second in. She also was a member of the 400 meter relay team that took second place and set a new school record of 48.17 seconds, which tops the 1983 school record of 48.26. Seniors comprised the team and made the finish especially touching, Stafslien said.

The men’s track and field team fell to seventh place out of nine teams at the championships, bringing in 25 points, while La Crosse won the event with 278 points.

Senior John Schuna said the team was unhappy with the finish.

“We were really disappointed we didn’t do better as a team,” he said. “We had quite a few injuries as a team. Otherwise I think we would have done better.”

Schuna took home the Blugolds’ top finishes, winning third place in the shot put and fourth place in the discuss throw.

“I was a little disappointed in my performance in the shot put,” he said. “I was more or less pretty disappointed going out for the last time, and definitely not doing that well. It left me with more of a sour taste in my mouth than anything.”

Schuna said he will be tapering back when training in preparation for upcoming meets. He said he would like to throw for 18 meters in the shot put, something he has yet to accomplish this season.

“I’ve got my work cut out for me,” he said.

While the WIAC season is over, Stafslien still has her focus set on the future, which includes two wildcard meets and national championships.

The Blugolds will head to Naperville, Ill., Friday to compete at the NCC Last Chance Meet.

“It’s not over with yet,” Stafslien said.