Blugolds place 2nd in championship

The Blugold gymnastics team did something that hasn’t been done since the 1982-83 season — they earned second place at a conference meet.

The team also broke its previous team-high score by putting up 180.325 at the WIAC championship meet Friday in Oshkosh. The gymnasts previously set a high score of 176.950 Feb. 14 in Oshkosh.

Coach Lisa McIntyre said she was very pleased with the team’s performance.

“This is the first time we have scored a 180,” McIntyre said. “Now we want to do that consistently.”

McIntyre said she also was pleased with the performance of sophomore Alison Eagles.

Eagles set a new school record for all-around performance with a total score of 37.100. Junior Kristina Reitzel, who had a mark of 36.225, held the previous record.

“We started off very well,” Eagles said. “We had a great meet and met our goal of 180. I think this meet will give us confidence for our next meets.”

The Blugolds also broke another team record on the balance beam with a total score of 45.900.

Freshman Lynn Morris finished second in the balance beam with a score of 9.475, which passed her previous record.

“Everyone did a great job,” Morris said. “We hit all our events except bars.”

Morris said she is excited for nationals in a few weeks.

“I think we can do better,” she said. “We still haven’t hit all our events.”

Now that the team knows it can score a 180, Morris said it knows it can be done again.

Senior Jessica Pink took third place on the vault with her score of 9.300.

“I am very impressed with this team,” Pink said. “I am happy that my last year is spent with them.”

Pink said she thinks the team is capable of doing a lot better than 180 points.

“If we can score 180 and only hit three out of four events, we can do a lot better when we hit them all,” she said.

Reitzel, co-captain, earned a score of 35.250 all around to earn sixth place.

“We started off good and that carried over to the next event,” Reitzel said. “Hopefully we can put it all together at nationals.”

The team now will prepare for Div. III nationals on March 28-29 at McPhee Center in Eau Claire.