Gymnasts lose despite record score

Although the women’s gymnastics team broke a school record Friday with a score of 176.650, it wasn’t enough to slip past the UW-Oshkosh Titans.

Blugold head coach Lisa McIntyre said the meet showed that, despite the loss, the team is getting better.

“One of our goals is to each get 9.0 and above on floor, and we did that,” McIntyre said. “We did fantastic on balance beam and floor, but we need to increase our difficulty on bars.

“It was difficult walking away with a loss, but I felt like we improved.”

McIntyre said she feels the ‘Golds are where they need to be to peak at conference and nationals.

“There is always an advantage to a home gym, but we still should have come out with a win,” senior co-captain Erin Henrich said.

“(Oshkosh) put together a full meet,” she said. “We had a few falls, and that was the difference.”

Freshman Lynn Morris broke her previous school record by earning a score of 9.15 on the uneven bars.

“Lynn did an outstanding job on balance beam and bars,” McIntyre said. “She is a very clean gymnast.”

Junior Kristina Reitzel had the best all-around performance for the ‘Golds with a 35.200 score, finishing second all-around.

“We were upset we lost,” Reitzel said. “But we focused on all the good things that we got out of it.”

The team will use the meet for motivation when it faces the Titans in two weeks at Oshkosh in the conference meet, Reitzel said.

Sophomore Alison Eagles and senior Jessica Pink tied for third place on the floor routine with scores of 9.425. Eagles also earned first place in the vault with a score of 9.30.

The Blugolds are 5-2 in the WIAC with conference and national meets coming up soon. They will host UW-Stout and Gustavus College (Minn.) at 7 p.m. Friday on Parents and Senior Night.