Club team dominates biggest rival

The Eau Claire men’s club soccer team played one of its biggest rivals, the University of Minnesota, Saturday at Bollinger Field. For the past two seasons, these teams have traded victories. Eau Claire went 1-1 against them two seasons ago.

Last season, Minnesota won all three games they played.

In their first meeting this season, Eau Claire won 3-1.

“This was our biggest game in five years,” coach Stan Williams said. “We established our identity.”

The team affirmed the enormity of the game.

“It felt awesome,” junior Tim Schoonenberg said. “It’s one of the best wins I’ve ever been a part of.”

The team concentrated on putting in a new offense in practice. That offense was designed to move the forwards to the corners of the field, shooting the centers more to the back.

“It was designed to contain,” senior Joe Fricano said.

The offense was also designed to control the ball at midfield, and to not rush the opportunities to score.

“The game plan was executed perfectly,” Schoonenberg said. “Williams did a pretty good job.”

The team put a new defense in as well. The midfielders now are moved back in the defense.

“We’re concentrating mostly on defense,” Williams said. “The scoring will come.”

The team also worked on making its defense tighter.

“It worked very well during the game,” Williams said. “We established our defense.”

In the beginning of the game, Minnesota was challenging the middle of the field.

“We attacked them back,” Fricano said. “We got in their heads.”

Goals were scored by sophomore Zachary King, sophomore Adam Van Beck and junior Carlos Garcia.

The third goal was scored by Van Beck with about three minutes left to play in the second half. It was scored off a fast break.

The coach said he felt good about the victory.

“It wasn’t luck,” Williams said. “We wanted it more.”

On Sunday, the team beat UW-River Falls 6-2.

“We were telling people not to come because we knew it was going to be a bad game,” Schoonenberg said.

Garcia had three assists. Junior Ben Rothering scored two goals. Junior goalie Jacob Kordash scored on a penalty kick.

“He’s our best penalty kicker,” Schoonenberg said. “It riles the crowd up.”

This Saturday and Sunday, Eau Claire will play UW-La Crosse and UW-Stevens Point. Both games will be at 1 p.m.

“They’re two of the best teams in our conference,” Schoonenberg said. “We will really need our fans.”