Blugold women’s soccer team still undefeated

Anna Nelson

The women’s soccer team played two games at home this weekend, winning one and tieing one.

On Sunday, the Blugolds played Aurora, Ill., and won 3-2. Three different players scored for the Blugolds’ offense.

Freshman Kris Unterweger, with an assist from senior Tina Welle, scored at the 36 minute, 16 second mark.

Freshman Megan Oswall assisted junior Jullia Powell in the 47th minute

Oswall was assisted by senior Erika Thompson at 53:28.

At that point the score was 3-1. Aurora’s offense put a shot past freshman goalie Megan Brady at 77:54 to close the gap between the teams.

No more goals were scored by either team.

“It was a very physical game,” senior Tina Welle said. “I thought we played well. We were coming off a tough game (Saturday).”

“We missed a lot of chances (Saturday) so we wanted to capitalize today,” Coach Sean Yengo said.”It wasn’t a beautiful contest. We found a way to win it. We missed numerous chances (Sunday). That’ll be our focus for the next couple of weeks.”

On Saturday they played Washington, (Mo.). Despite plenty of opportunities, neither team was able to score in regulation.

After both overtime periods went scoreless, the game ended in a tie.

“I thought we were the better team,” Yengo said. “We were in the right position at the right time. We just couldn’t make the extra pass. ”

Washington finished with 18 shots on goal. Eau Claire had 27 shots on goal.

“The girls played wonderful. The midfield played really well. The defense played really well,” Yengo said. “I thought we were the better team.”

After the weekend’s contests, the Blugolds have a record of 3-0-1 for the season.

Next they will face St. Mary’s University, Minn. The game will be at 4 p.m. on Wednesday at Bollinger Fields.