After two years as backup softball catcher, junior Danyell Smith is a `prime example’ of athletics.

Playing softball has been a life-long pastime for junior Danyell Smith.

She began by playing tee-ball and little league. In sixth grade, she took up fast-pitch softball.

When the time came for her to continue with her post-high school softball career, she choose UW-Eau Claire.

“I met with the coaches before I came here,” Smith said. “I knew some people who had gone here, and they told me good things about the softball program.”

Dealing with softball and school at the college level has been challenging for Smith.

“It takes work to keep my schedule straight,” Smith said. “It can be hard missing a lot of class and keeping up with my homework.”

Smith, the team catcher, spent the majority of her freshman and sophomore seasons warming the bench. For her first two seasons, Smith played second string to All-American catcher Lisa Schueler.

“I got in the game every now and then,” Smith said.

She said it was hard for her to sit and watch for two years, but because she knew that Schueler was an All-American, it made waiting for her chance easier.

“I learned a lot watching her and playing with her,” Smith said. “It didn’t matter that I wasn’t on the field as much as I would have liked.”

This season with Schueler gone, Smith has proven to be proficient behind and at the plate.

“She’s been doing very well for us this season,” coach Deb Steward said. “She’s been very stable for us behind the plate.”

Calling pitches, seeing batters weaknesses and throwing out runners have all been some of Smith’s improvements this season.

“She’s respected in the conference and by the other players,” Steward said.

Smith leads the Blugolds in RBIs with 18 and is tied for the lead in home runs with junior Tracy Steffens with four each.

“Her improvement has mainly come from gaining experience on the field,” Steward said. “She is committed to the team and the game.”

Smith has played in and started in all 37 games this season and has had 107 total plate appearances and 89 at bats.

“We’ve been working a lot on hitting in practice,” Smith said. “I’m pretty happy with the way I’ve been hitting this season.”

Steward attributed much of Smith’s success this year to hard work on the field and in the weight room.

“Being a catcher is a tough position, but she’s worked hard in the weight room to build her stamina and strength,” Steward said.

Through hard work and dedication, Smith’s career looks to be promising. She has one year left of eligibility to make her mark on Blugold athletics.

“She works hard and learns from other,” Steward said. “She’s a prime example of what college athletics are all about.”

This weekend Smith and her team will face the rest of the WIAC in the conference championships.