Women’s track 7th of 20 teams

The Blugolds placed seventh in the 2001 Manitou Track and Field Classic hosted by St. Olaf University (Minn.), earning a total of 60.8 points.

St. Thomas University (Minn.) took first place at the meet with 107 points.

“We knew it was going to be a tough meet,” sophomore Sara Pavek said. “Our goal was to be in the top three teams, but it was such a big meet, we didn’t quite make it.”

Junior Kathy Thompson and sophomore Jennie Schultz posted the highest finishes for the Blugolds, finishing second in the high jump and the 3,000-meter run respectively.

Thompson’s jump of 5 feet, 2.25 inches was 1.25 inches short of the first-place finisher. Schultz’s time of 10 minutes, 36.53 seconds in the 3,000 was only .46 seconds out of first place.

Freshman Jessie Beaulieu threw the hammer 145 feet, 10 inches to place third in that event. Sophomore Anna Nelson placed eighth in the event with a throw of 130 feet, eight inches.

“We had a lot of (personal records) at the meet,” Pavek said. “Jessie Beaulieu improved her throw by a whole lot; it was amazing.”

For the Blugolds, sophomore Karin Diestelmeier earned fourth-place honors in the 1,500-meter run with a time of 4:51.02.

The 4×800 relay team also took fourth-place honors with a time of 9:56.97.

Also placing in the 1,500 was Pavek, whose time of 5:01.84 was good enough for 12th place.

In the 200-meter run, Rebecca Brander posted a fifth-place finish with a time of 26.52.

The women will look to improve as they host the Blugold Invite this weekend.

“I think we’re gaining momentum as we go,” Pavek said. “We’re all really looking forward to conference.”