Women’s rugby 3-0 over weekend

Three wins over the weekend helped increase the women’s rugby team record to 5-0 for its spring season.

Eau Claire hosted the third game of the spring Saturday at Bollinger Fields.

“These games were a great team effort,” junior Timoly Sommer said. “Everyone who played, played very well.”

Teams from UW-Milwaukee, UW-Stevens Point and UW-Platteville all attended the tournament.

“These were our first home games of our fall season,” Sommer said. “Everyone played very well.”

In its first game against Stevens Point, Eau Claire dominated and the game ended with a 34-12 score.

“No one person carried the team,” Sommer said. “A lot of people scored for us.”

In its second game, Eau Claire again dominated this time against Platteville.

The final score of the rugby team’s second match was 28-0.

“The games went really well,” Sommer said. “We got to put in a lot of rookies in the games and get some experience.”

In the third game against UW-Milwaukee, the women won 27-17.

“The game against Milwaukee was the most difficult,” Sommer said. “They definitely posed more of a challenge.”

Earlier in its season, the rugby team was scheduled to face Platteville, but the game was canceled due to snow.

In their second challenge of the season, the women faced UW-Whitewater. They won the game.

In the fall season, there are more games, Sommer said. The fall season consists of more competition for higher standings.

During the spring season, there is more tournament play.

Sommer said that it is more fun for the team to play in the spring season.

The rugby team will play at UW-Stout on Saturday. On May 12 the team will play an alumni game.

“We get to play against all the people we used to play with,” Sommer said. “It should be a good time.”