Golf 1st of 18

The men’s golf team finally was presented with playable conditions over the weekend and took full advantage of the opportunity.

Overcast skies on Friday and Saturday’s 50-mile-per-hour winds couldn’t stop the Blugolds from taking the team championship at the 18-team Augustana Invitational at Highland Springs Golf Course in Rock Island, Ill.

The Blugolds fired a final round 307 to finish with a two-day total of 599, 15 strokes ahead of Central College of Iowa, their nearest challenger.

“We all played well on Friday, and Saturday was more like a survival thing,” senior Todd Samarzia said. “It was easily the most wind I’ve ever played in. We just had to be patient and not get too far ahead of ourselves.”

It was the first competition of the spring season for the team who has placed among the top five at the NCAA Div. III nationals in each of the past two seasons. The ‘Golds did not compete in this meet last year, but placed third two yearsago in a field of 16 teams.

Junior Ryan Quinn finished with a 36-hole total of 146 to edge Augsburg’s Hans Anderson by two strokes for individual medalist honors. Quinn’s 72 was two strokes behind the co-leaders after the first day, but his 74 on Saturday was good enough to push him into the top spot.

Four Blugold golfers scored 74 or better on Friday, including Samarzia and sophomore Andy Smith, who both shot a 73. Senior Ryan Kuhl stayed close to the pack with a 74.

Kuhl had the second best round Saturday with a 75. He finished third, shooting a 149. Smith ended up tied for fifth place in the tournament with 151.

“It was pretty much close the whole way through the tournament,” Smith said. “The competition was right there all weekend.”

Smith said it was sometimes hard to gauge where one stood in the field.

“I knew we were doing well,” he said, “but in golf, a six-stroke lead can be made up in one hole.”

All five Blugolds placed among the top 20 over the weekend as Samarzia totaled a 154 to tie for 11th place and senior Brian Thompson finished 17th with his 156.

“We all just played well,” Thompson said. “All five guys on the team can shoot great numbers and having (Quinn) back gives us one more solid player.”

Quinn sat out this year’s fall golf season as he has been training for U.S. Olympic trials for curling.

The Blugold golfers will travel to Storm Lake, Iowa this weekend to play in a tournament in the Buena Vista Invite. After April break, the team will head to St. Peter, Minn. where it will play in the two-day Gustavus Invite.

Smith said he is optimistic about the spring season after the team’s slow fall season.

“It was nice to see everybody shoot so well despite the conditions,” Smith said. “If we all play this well all season, I can see us having a lot of success.”

The team has its sights set on finishing in one of the top three spots in the district, which automatically would qualify it for nationals.

Central College (Iowa) and Luther College (Iowa) are two of the top six teams in the district and both fell last weekend to Eau Claire.

“After the fall, some teams have maybe second-guessed us,” Samarzia said. “Everybody knows we’re one of the top teams in the district.

“We just need to keep winning and stay consistent.”