Eau Claire women’s golf team awaits bid for nationals

The women’s golf team has only one thing left on its mind this season: nationals. The Blugolds must wait until May 8 for the national committee to announce those who receive a bid to nationals.

This year’s squad would be the first women’s team to qualify for nationals.

The team is coming off a successful fall season in which it took the runner-up position in the WIAC Conference Championship for the second consecutive year. Seniors Kelly Harper and Kristi Moss and freshman Jen Prock were awarded first-team WIAC All-Conference.

The Blugolds have played the required three rounds of competitive golf this spring, which makes the team eligible for nationals.

There is the possibility of bringing individual golfers to nationals, but the team has its sights set on bringing the entire group.

“We’d like to represent the school as a team,” Moss said. “We can only wait.”

The ‘Golds went into their third and final meet this past weekend ranked second in the region. They hosted Luther College (Iowa) in the UW-Eau Claire Spring Invite at Mill Run Golf Course in what was the team’s final regular season dual match.

Eau Claire claimed seven out of the top nine spots in the season-ending dual meet. The Blugolds shot a combined 335, which was eight strokes better than Luther, who came in with a 403. Junior Katie Hommen blasted a 79 to take the top spot for the ‘Golds.

Hommen said the team was bumped out of nationals last year and the team had that in the back of the mind when it battled Luther.

“We were going into the meet looking to shoot 340 or below,” Hommen said. “We were happy to get that, and now it’s out of our hands as to whether we get in (to nationals) or not.”

Hommen said the team thinks it has a good chance of making it this year. She said the team will have to wait it out, keep practicing and hope for the best.

Moss shot an 83 at the invite to take second place.

“We wanted to go out there and post a good score,” Moss said. “We did that.”

The team’s numbers from the spring should be good enough to receive a bid to nationals, Moss said.

Harper shot a third-place 85 and Prock was three strokes behind Harper with 88, tying Prock for the fourth spot. Sophomore Karen Law took sixth with her 90 and freshman Jessica Stinchfield shot a 93 to finish ninth.