Golfers place 3rd at Mankato invite

The men’s golf team finished third behind nationally ranked St. John’s University (Minn.) and Gustavus Adolphus (Minn.) in the 16-team MSU-Mankato Maverick Invitational.

The two-day, 36-hole event was played at the North Links Golf Course on Saturday after the first round was played at Shoreland Country Club in St. Peter (Minn.) on Friday.

The team from St. John’s totaled 562 compared to 582 for Gustavus and 584 for Eau Claire.

St. John’s Robert Cliff was the meet’s medalist with a 137-shot total on rounds of 67 and 70. Junior Ryan Quinn and Gustavus’ Luke Benoit tied for second at 140. Quinn shot two rounds including a 67 and 70.

Other Blugold notables were senior Brian Thompson’s 146 (69-77), sophomore Andy Smith’s 148 (74-74), senior Ryan Kuhl’s 151 (74-77) and senior Todd Samarzia’s score of 154 (73-81).

The field included five NCAA Div. II schools and three of the top 25-ranked Div. III teams in St. John’s (No. 3), Gustavus (No. 5) and Eau Claire (No. 19).

The Blugolds were looking for their third-straight invitational victory of the spring. The team captured the 18-team Augustana Invitational and the 20-team Buena Vista Invitational.

The ‘Golds are scheduled to play in the Drake Invitational today and Tuesday.