Women’s track second at meet

For the second weekend in a row, the weather did not cooperate with the women’s track team.

But that did not stop several individuals from having solid performances at UW-River Falls Saturday.

Strong winds, rain and hail tested the athletes, but many overcame the obstacles to place high in the meet. The Blugolds had six first-place and 10 second-place finishes in the six-team meet.

Eau Claire placed second with 212.67 points, just 1 2-3 of a point behind UW-River Falls.

“The times weren’t as good as what people were looking for,” freshman Kay Mikolajczak said. “But everybody had to run in the same conditions so it didn’t really affect place results,”

Mikolajczak was the top finisher in the 400-meter hurdles. She broke the tape in one minute, 11.3 seconds to gain the victory.

Junior Kathy Thompson also had a big day for the ‘Golds. She gathered wins in the high jump (5 feet, 3 3-4 inches) and the 100-meter hurdles (15.76 seconds). Thompson also placed second in the javelin (89′, 7 3-4”) and 4 x 400 relay and sixth in the 200-meter dash.

Sophomore Karin Diestelmeier, a cross country All-American, picked up her second win in as many meets in the 3,000-meter run with a 11:00.4 time. She also won the 1,500-meter run in 5:06.2.

Freshman Brooke Wozniak also earned her second victory of the season in the shot put (39’, 10 3/4”).

“I think (the meet) showed us that basically we can be up there with any team just like we were up there with (River Falls),” Mikolajczak said. “But it also showed us we have a little ways to go still.”

Sophomore Kim Gauron, who placed third in the 3,000-meter run, said the team is shooting for a top-three finish at the WIAC meet later this season.

The Blugolds are scheduled to host the UWEC Easter Invite at 10:30 a.m. Friday at Simpson Field.