Women’s tennis wins against Div. II rivals

Not a single set was given up by the Blugolds on Saturday when women’s tennis hosted Winona State University (Minn.) and Mankato State University (Minn.), both Div. II teams, at McPhee.

“We went in expecting to win,” sophomore Melissa Huppert said. “Everyone got a chance to play and get some good competition before we go to Madison.”

In last year’s match-up with Winona, the Blugolds easily won 9-0. This year’s contest was a very similar story. Winona came into the contest with a 7-6 winning record.

“The competition wasn’t as tough as we had been playing in California,” senior Molly Cope said.

At No.1 singles Cope won two sets, 6-1, 6-1. Playing at No. 2 singles, sophomore Alison Hover beat her opponent, 6-0, 6-1. Freshman Jenny Stafford, the No. 3 singles player, won her match, 6-0, 6-1.

Senior Andrea Muellner, playing at No. 4, and No. 5 singles sophomore Megan Tauer both had closer matches, with scores of 7-5, 6-2 and 7-6, 6-1 respectively.

The No. 6 singles player, Huppert, defeated her opponent as a result of an injury default.

“Everyone who played in both meets did a great job,” Cope said. “They stepped up to the level of competition and really did well.”

The ‘Golds doubles match-ups had similar success as the singles.

In doubles action against Winona, the No. 1 pairing of Cope and Mueller beat their opponents, 8-4. At No. 2 doubles senior Suzie Hickman and Stafford downed their opponents, 8-2. At No. 3, Huppert and freshman Molly Cadwell took the victory, 8-4.

With these wins, the Blugolds improved their spring record to 3-4 and season dual meet record to 10-4. The team is 23-4 on the season.

The lost left Winona with a 7-7 season record.

Last season against Mankato, the Blugolds only let one match out of their grasp, taking the meet by an 8-1 margin.

This season, Mankato would have no such luck, winning none of the nine matches.

Mankato came into the contest with a 6-4 season record.

Hover, who played No. 1 singles, won her match 6-1, 6-1. Hickman won her No. 2 singles match, 6-3, 6-0. Stafford took another victory at No. 3 singles and Muellner took another victory at the No. 4 spot.

Tauer also stole another victory at No. 5 singles, winning 6-2, 6-2. Huppert won at No. 6 singles, 6-4, 7-6.

The Blugold doubles teams of Cope/Muellner, Hickman/Stafford and Huppert/freshman Molly Cadwell all easily defeated their opponents.

The Blugolds will compete in the Midwest Regional Tournament on Friday and Saturday at Madison.

“We’re really hoping for a fourth-place finish,” Cope said. “We’re expecting three or four tough matches.”

The place the Blugolds finish decides if the they will travel to nationals as a team or as individuals.

The team is expecting tough competition from Gustavus College (Minn.), who beat the Blugolds’ already this year, and Kenyon State University (Ohio), who they haven’t played, Huppert said.

“We’re looking to do well and go on to nationals.”