Women’s track successful at Stout Pentangular

Junior Kathy Thompson successfully jumped the NCAA Div. III provisional qualifying height at the UW-Stout Pentangular meet on Friday.

Stout, UW-La Crosse, University of St. Thomas (Minn.) and UW-Platteville were represented at the meet. Team scores were not kept.

“We had some really good individual performances,” Thompson said.

Thompson jumped 5 feet, 5.25 inches to equal the qualifying height. The jump’s height enabled Thompson to take first place. Her closest opponent jumped just over 5 feet, 3 inches.

Freshman Abby Altergott finished fourth for the Blugolds in the high jump; she jumped 4 feet, 11 inches. Altergott also took sixth in the 800 meter run with a time of 2:32.67.

In the 1,500-meter run, the Blugolds had three runners in the top 10.

Sophomore Karin Diestelmeier took second place in the race with a time of 4 minutes, 49.79 seconds.

Diestelmeier finished just over a second after the first-place finisher from La Crosse. Her time was about four seconds from the NCAA provisional qualifying time.

“Karin is really hoping to go to nationals in the 1,500 at conference,” sophomore Kim Gauron said.

Sophomore Sara Pavek finished the 1,500-meter run in third place with a time of 4:57.04.

The Blugolds’ freshman Heather Lipinski finished sixth with 5:02.16.

Gauron placed second in the 3,000-meter run with a time of 11:00.08.

Freshman Nicole Johnson took fourth in the race with a time of 11:17.92.

Freshman Kallie Krueger took third in the 200-meter dash with a time of 26.97. She also stole third in the 400-meter dash with a time of 1:00.77 and fifth in the 55-meter dash with a time of 7.77.

“We’re looking forward to conference,” Gauron said. ” A lot of people are hoping to qualify for nationals there.”

Saturday the Blugolds will head to UW-Stevens Point for the WIAC conference meet for the indoor season.

“In conference we’re really hoping for a top-three finish,” Thompson said. “We’re fighting with Oshkosh, Whitewater and Point for the spots.”