Men advance to second round

The men’s basktball team advanced to the second round of the NCAA Div. III tournament after beating Benedictine University (Ill.) in Chicago Thursday night, 66-55.

The ‘Golds will stay in Chicago to play University of Chicago (22-3) at 7 p.m. Saturday. Chicago is ranked as the No.1 Div. III team by hoops.com.

Despite the ‘Golds shooting just 38 percent Thursday in the first half on 3 of 14 shots and committing 10 turnovers, they pulled together a strong second half to remain alive in post-season play.

Benedictine lead at halftime, 27-24, but the Blugolds regained the lead for good in the second half partly due to the solid performance of sophomore Jason Larson. Larson, who lead all scorers with his Blugold career-high 28 points, went 2-2 from the free-throw line with 1 minute, 7 seconds remaining in regulation to put the ‘Golds ahead, 63-52.

Sophomore Andy Witte also added 18 points. Senior Sherm Carstensen didn’t score his first point of the game until he hit a free throw at the 17:40 mark of the second half.