Gymnasts head to regionals

In its final dual meet of the season, the Blugold gymnastics squad took on UW-River Falls Friday at River Falls.

The Blugolds dropped the meet 175.350 to 167.550.

The team score wasn’t enough to overtake the Falcons, but it was its third highest team total of the season.

“We felt really confident,” freshman Lindsay Ganzow said. “It went over really well for us.”

The Blugold team scores at its meet against Texas Woman’s University on Jan. 27, and the Blugold Invitational on Feb. 6, top its score against River Falls.

“We went in thinking that we were competing with them, not against them,” Ganzow said.

Junior Jessica Pink posted the best performance for the Blugolds, taking third place in the floor exercise with a score of 8.9. This score was her second best of the season on the mat.

Freshman Kristina Reitzel took home two fourth-place finishes in the vault and the uneven parallel bars. She scored an 8.9 on the vault and an 8.4 on the bars.

Sophomore Erin Henrich took the highest place on the beam for the Blugolds. She posted a score of 8.45, which earned her sixth place in the event.

The Blugolds finished in third and fourth places in the all-around competition.

Reitzel placed third with a combined score of 34.05. Pink took fourth with a score of 33.85.

Beginning 6:30 p.m. Friday, the Blugolds will compete in the NCGA West Regional Qualifier at Hamline University (Minn.).

This meet plays a major role in deciding who goes on to the NCAA Div. III Gymnastics championship.

“We’ve been practicing well,” Ganzow said. “We’re concentrating on performing to the best of our ability. We’re trying to to be hesitant.”

In deciding what gymnasts go on to nationals, the average of the gymnast’s scores on an apparatus, or in the all-around are taken from two away meets, one home meet, and one optional (away or home) meet.

The score earned at the regional qualifier meet counts toward 60 percent of your seasonal average. All of these scores are taken into account and the highest scores go to nationals.

“This is our last meet, we want to perform as best as we can as a team.” Ganzow said.