Women’s tennis faces Div. III top teams

The UW-Eau Claire women’s tennis team got the opportunity to enjoy the California sun over spring break. But its time away from the cold of the upper Midwest was spent playing against some of the top Div. III tennis teams in the nation.

The Blugolds traveled to Clairemont, Calif., to play four of the best teams in the country. Although they only won one of the four matches, they returned to Wisconsin happy about their experience.

Eau Claire faced second-ranked Amherst College (Mass.) in its first match, which the Blugolds lost 5-4.

“Amherst was No. 2, and they beat the No. 1 team 8-1,” head coach Tracy Saloka said. “A 4-5 loss to them is pretty good.”

Saloka said with a few changes here and there, the Blugolds could’ve walked away with the match.

“It was fun to be close to the No. 2 team,” said senior Suzie Hickman, who won her singles match against Amherst by scores of 6-3 and 6-4. “It was our first outdoor match of the year, but we adjusted well.”

Along with Hickman’s win in singles, the Blugolds also earned wins from sophomores Alison Hover and Barb Nellis in singles and from the doubles team of Hover and sophomore Megan Tauer.

In its next meet, Eau Claire took on the College of New Jersey. The Blugolds won the match, 7-2. Saloka said the match was one the team had to win.

“That’s a team that we should have beaten,” he said.

Saloka said the ‘Golds knew they had to win, and went out and took care of it.”

Hover, Hickman, Nellis and freshman Jenny Stafford won the singles matches against New Jersey, and all three doubles teams won to lead the Blugolds to victory.

Eau Claire was unable to win its weekend matches, losing to host Clairemont University (Calif.) by a 6-3 score, and falling to Williams College (Mass.), 7-2.

The Blugolds got their wins against Clairemont from Hickman and senior Andrea Muellner in singles, and from the doubles team of Hover and Tauer. Against Williams College, the doubles teams of Muellner and senior Molly Cope and the Hickman, Stafford team got wins for Eau Claire.

“I think the team played really well,” Hickman said. “It’s frustrating to come back and not have that same level of competition. Those matches will prepare us for the national tournament.”

Saloka was pleased with the way his team played over spring break.

“It was good to experience a high level of play,” he said.

The Blugolds also got a chance to go on the “Price is Right” game show and Muellner was selected as a contestant for the show.

“I don’t even remember my name being called,” Muellner said. “It all happened so fast.”

Muellner got the opportunity to spin the wheel for the Showcase Showdown. The show featuring the Eau Claire tennis team will air on April 18 on CBS.