Blugold women come up one point short against Gustavus

After claiming its eighth consecutive WIAC championship in this year’s fall season, the women’s tennis team lost its spring season-opener to Gustavus Adolphus College (Minn.), 5-4.

The win over the Blugolds at the Eau Claire YMCA was the ninth of the season and third of three weekend victories for Gustavus. On Friday, Gustavus knocked off Concordia University (Minn.), 9-0, and Bethel College (Minn.), 9-0.

Senior Molly Cope began the spring season with a hard-fought victory at No. 1 singles, 6-4, 6-4.

“We both had similar styles,” Cope said. “We both hit the ball hard and that led to some good points. It came down to who was the most consistent.”

Cope teamed up with senior Andrea Muellner to lose at No. 1 doubles, 5-4.

Sophomores Megan Tauer and Alison Hover were the only doubles team to claim victory Sunday.

The No. 3 duo captured victory in the eight-game pro set, 8-6.

“We played strong the entire match,” Tauer said. “(Gustavus) is a powerful team and they don’t lose to many people.

“This was a chance for us to compete with one of the better teams around,” she said. “We just tried to keep fighting and were able to come out on top.”

Hover also was able to score a point for the Blugold team with a win in her No. 3 singles match.

Sophomore Barb Nellis walked through her match at No. 6 singles, 6-0, 6-0.

“We practiced hard all week long in preparation for this meet,” Nellis said. “My opponent had a strong forehand, but her backhand wasn’t as strong, so I looked to attack it.”

Freshman Jenny Stafford and senior Suzie Hickman played at No. 2 doubles only to fall 8-2.

“We played our hearts out and that’s all we can ask for our first match,” Stafford said. “They were a tough team and they have great depth.”

Hickman also lost at No. 2 singles, 2-6, 2-6.

“This was a good match for us to play this early in the season,” Hickman said. “Our team definitely rose to the occasion.”

The Blugolds only were able to score a single point last year against Gustavus, losing 8-1. This year the ‘Golds looked much stronger, losing by only one point.

“We’ll see Gustavus again at regionals this year,” Hickman said. “We hope to be even stronger at that point in the season.”

The Blugold women will travel to Amherst College (Mass.) next Monday.