Softball enters season ranked sixth in nation

FILE PHOTO

With the loss of four starters who had at least a dozen all-WIAC awards among them, many would say this is a rebuilding year for the UW-Eau Claire softball team.

That is not what the Blugolds would say.

“We look as strong as we did last year,” freshman Jessie Sharpe said. “I believe we’re at the point now where we were last year (at this time).”

“We’re pretty much strong in all areas just like we were last year,” she said.

The Blugolds lost their first, third and fifth hitters from a year ago, including their top fielder Karri Meinen.

They must also go without All-American pitcher Heidi Bergstrom.

The team returns its No. 2 hitter from last year’s squad in junior short stop Becky Bourne. Bourne batted .405 and led the team in runs.

Second-year head coach Deb Steward said the team has a great deal of experience with 12 returners, many who played at nationals last year where the ‘Golds placed fourth.

Steward said she expects Bourne, sophomore first baseman Tracy Steffens and pitchers Sharpe and freshman Kim Czapla to be players to watch this season, but the team cannot depend on just a few players to achieve the same success as last season.

“We need everybody,” Steward said. “We need everybody to step up and do their jobs.”

This year’s squad will be led by captains Bourne, Steffens, junior Katie Dunn and sophomore Megan Grinnell. Steffens led the Blugolds with three home runs last year.

A couple new faces join the team this year.

Assistant coach Bob Meixner, who comes from last year’s national champion team at St Mary’s University (Minn.), will work with the pitchers and catchers while assistant Jo Lindoo will help the outfielders.

The Blugolds enter the season ranked sixth in the nation by the National Fastpitch Coaches Association, but Steward said she does not rely on rankings to tell her how good her team is.

“Rankings are just that,” she said. “They don’t mean squat until the end of the season.”

Eau Claire will test out its No. 6 ranking this weekend when they travel to La Grange, Ga., for the 24-team NFCA Lead-off Classic.

The team’s season will get underway Friday when they take on SUNY-Cortland (N.Y.) at 5 p.m. The ‘Golds will also play Methodist College (N.C.) on Friday and Wilkes University (Pa.) on Saturday before entering bracket play.

Grinnell said the tournament will be somewhat of a repeat of last year’s nationals because of the strong competition, and the team is looking forward to playing.

“We’re excited to face some of the teams who beat us at nationals last year,” Grinnell said. “We’d kind of like to get them back.”