Women fail to run past Carthage

The Blugold women’s track team pulled in a close second to Carthage College at the 13-team invite held by UW-Stevens Point.

The Eastbay/Pointer Invitational hosted 13 teams. The ‘Golds racked up 132.5 points while Carthage finished with 138.33 points . Stevens Point finished 18.17 points behind the ‘Golds with 150.67

The Blugolds had three place winners in the 800-meter run and the 5,000-meter run. Freshman Sara Pavek placed second in the 800, while freshman Melissa Wright placed third and sophomore Betsy Coy placed fourth. Freshman Heather Lipinski took third place in the 5000 run.

Freshman Katie Miller placed in the 55-meter dash and the shot put. Her time in the 55 dash improved by .16 seconds since the UW-Eau Claire Invite. She said confidence helped improve her score.

“I had a better attitude coming into the meet,” Miller said. “I’m starting to feel a lot more comfortable with this team.”

Team encouragement has been improving, making the women work even harder.

“Our team has changed so much,” Miller said. “Everyone cheers everyone else along. We had a blast.”

For some of the team members, injury has been holding them back.

“Coach (Tracy Yengo) gave us a lighter practice this week,” Miller said. “I think that gave us all enough rest to do well on Saturday.”

Coy knocked 6.41 seconds off her time in the 800 since the Eau Claire invite. She ran a 2:30.19 at the Eastbay/Pointer Invite.

“I definitely took some time off since the last meet, but I would have liked it to be more,” Coy said.

Senior Kathy Thompson placed in four events at the invite. She placed second in the 200 low hurdles, second in the pentathlon, third in the high jump and fourth in the 55 high hurdles.

Junior Beth Flink placed second in the high jump and fifth in the pentathlon.

Other second place finishers throughout the meet included freshman Kallie Krueger in the 600, freshman Karin Diestelmeier in the mile run and sophomore Sarah Becker in the pole vault.

Becker vaulted 10.75 while senior Stephanie Larsen vaulted a 4.75. Larsen placed fourth in the pole vaulting event.

Freshman Sarah Kasabian ran a 5:41.56 in the mile run, placing fourth.

Sophomore Rebecca Brandner competed along with Krueger in the 600 run. She placed seventh with a time of 1:47.81.

The Blugolds had two place winners in the 3000-meter run. Freshman Nicole Johnson placed sixth with a time of 11:24.09 while junior Jennie Schultz ran a 11:34.59, placing seventh.

Freshman Lindsay Kray was the only Eau Claire placewinner in the 400 meter dash. She ran a 1:04.83.

The Blugolds placed third in the 4 x 200 relay with a time of 1:50.65. The time is almost a three second improvement from its time of 1:53.49 received at the Eau Claire Invite.

Junior Monica Miyamoto said the teamwork involved in the relays helped them out a lot.

“Our relays have been definitely showing improvement,” Miyamoto said. “We work better as a team, and that takes us a long way.”

The Blugolds will compete against UW-Stout Friday at Menomine.