Men’s basketball ends regular season with 12-point loss

UW-Oshkosh defeated the Blugolds for the sixth straight time in Kolf Sports Center Saturday to deny the Blugolds a share of the WIAC championship.

The 78-66 loss brought the Blugolds’ regular season to a close and gave them the fourth seed heading into the conference tournament.

The Blugolds took control in the first half, jumping to a 22-10 lead. The ‘Golds led at the half, 34-28.

In the second half, Eau Claire had UW-Oshkosh down 42-34, until the Titans scored 15 unanswered points to take a 49-42 lead with 10 minutes, 25 seconds left in the game.

Oshkosh shot 72.7 percent from the field in the second half compared to the Blugolds’ 38.5 percent for the game. The win gave the Titans the sixth seed in the WIAC tournament.

“We didn’t execute in the second half like we should have,” sophomore Andy Witte said. “They hit some big threes with hands in their face. After that, we couldn’t seem to get back in the game.”

Witte led his team in scoring with 13 points, going four of four from the field and making five of six free throws. He also had two steals and brought down six rebounds.

“We played well in the first half,” coach Terry Gibbons said. “I’ve got to hand it to Oshkosh, though; they made some changes and we couldn’t adjust.”

Oshkosh switched from a man-to-man defense to zone in the second half, which posed some problems for the Blugolds.

Senior Sherm Carstensen only saw 19 minutes of action due to foul trouble, resulting in six points on two for seven shooting.

“It was difficult with Sherm (Carstensen) sitting on the bench for us,” Gibbons said.

Sophomore Jason Larson went 5-11 from the floor for 12 points. Sophomore Steve Syrjala added a spark off the bench to hit three three-pointers and score 11 points.

Senior Todd Marks played all but one minute of the contest to score 10 points and grab four boards.

“We were getting good outside looks,” Marks said. “We just weren’t knocking them down. The game just got away from us.”

With their regular season over, the Blugolds look forward to the excitement of post-season play.

“Where you finished in the conference doesn’t matter anymore,” Gibbons said. “All that matters now is how you finish in the conference tournament. There won’t be any upsets in this tournament. The number one seed can lose to the eighth seed and their season ends. Everybody’s got a shot.”

The winner of the WIAC tournament receives an automatic NCAA bid to the Div. III tournament for a shot at the national title. There will be no at-large bids given to other teams in the WIAC.

“Every team in the conference has been beating up on each other all season, resulting in a lot of similar records,” Marks said. “It’s been more of a downfall for us that we play in such a tough conference.

“Now we have to win three games just like everybody else.”

In WIAC Quarterfinal playoff action No. 8 UW-Stout will play at No. 1 UW-Whitewater, No.7 UW-Platteville will play at No. 2 UW-Stevens Point and No. 6 Oshkosh will play at No. 3 UW-River Falls.

All teams will play on Tuesday night.