Men make March madness

L-O-U-D. That’s how you spell the atmosphere at Zorn Arena this past week as the Blugolds hosted UW-Stout and UW-Oshkosh with an automatic berth to the NCAA Division III tournament on the line.

With strong second halves in both games, the Blugolds were able to come out as WIAC tournament champions.

“This is a true testimony to our guys,” coach Terry Gibbons said. “Especially for these seniors, to get wins here in front of the home crowd. They withstood and never gave up.”

In semifinal action Thursday, Eau Claire trailed Stout 36-32 at the intermission but outscored the Blue Devils 41-29 in the final 20 minutes.

The fourth seeded ‘Golds beat No. 8 Stout 73-65 for the third time this season and moved on to the championship game of the conference tournament.

Sophomore Jason Larson led the winning cause with a game-high 26 points on 8 for 15 shooting.

Senior Sherm Carstensen hit five three-pointers in the game and scored 14 of his 22 points in the second half.

Stout had the momentum midway through the second half, leading 51-50. The Blugolds then put together a 10-2 run and the Blue Devils could get no closer than four.

Larson made two critical free throws with 39 seconds remaining in the contest and the Blugolds clinging to a 69-65 lead.

Senior Todd Marks followed with a key steal, then hit a free throw to make it a three-possession game with 30 seconds left.

The Blugolds connected on 10 of their 24 three-point attempts, which is the sixth time this season they reached double-digits in treys.

On Saturday night, the Blugolds earned their first automatic birth to the NCAA Division III tournament with a 76-63 victory over sixth-seeded Oshkosh in the championship game of the conference tournament.

The win gave Eau Claire its first WIAC tournament championship in 10 years.

“Now the fun starts,” senior Matt Fermanich said. “This is our place and what better place to win than here.

“We knew that a win tonight was our only way into the national tournament. We’re fortunate that we get to represent the WIAC.”

The Blugolds trailed 33-30 at halftime Saturday but outscored Oshkosh, 46-30, in the second half.

Larson and Carstensen once again led the Blugolds to victory.

Larson scored 21 points on 7 for 13 shooting. The 6-foot-1-inch guard also pulled down eight rebounds along with having six assists and three steals.

Carstensen scored 20 points in the second half to finish with 28.

“We’re going to take the momentum from our past three wins into the tournament and see how far we can get,” Carstensen said. “We were there a year ago and won’t be feeling any pressure this year.”

Sophomore Andy Witte, who played only four minutes in the first half because of foul trouble, led the Blugolds on the glass grabbing nine boards and chipping in 13 points.

With Witte out in the first half, 6-foot-8-inch sophomore Charlie Ramberg stepped up on the defensive end blocking four shots and contesting many others.

The Blugolds came out strong to start the second half, going on a 10-2 run. Oshkosh cut the deficit to two on two occasions after that.

The ‘Golds then went on a 9-0 run at the 7:41 mark to go up 61-50. The Titans could get no closer than within five.

A week ago, the Titans shot 73 percent in the second half to deal the Blugolds a 78-66 setback.

This week, the Blugolds were the hot team as they hit 64 percent of their field goals compared to 33 percent for Oshkosh.

Zorn Arena fans practically shook the Richter scales during the final Blugold possessions.

Witte’s deuce after a spin move and dish from Larson was capped off the next time down the floor by a left-handed jam by Carstensen to seal the deal with 41.3 seconds left in regulation.

“I heard someone call (Carstensen) `Mr. March,'” Marks said. “I don’t mean to put any pressure on him, but we seem to go as far as he’ll take us. I think he’s the best player in the nation and capable of carrying our team.”

Oshkosh had only six turnovers and made 10 of its 12 free throws to stay in the game. The Blugolds didn’t get to the free-throw line until the 8:33 mark of the second half.

The Blugolds will make their second appearance ever in the NCAA tournament.