Swimmers strong in conference: Men take third behind Stevens Point, La Crosse

Junior Matt Oglesby took home two first-place finishes to help the Blugolds take a third-place finish in the WIAC Swimming and Diving Championships held in Oshkosh Feb. 15 to 17.

“As a team I think we did really well,” Oglesby said.

UW-Stevens Point took first with 836.5 points. UW-La Crosse took second with 721 points, and Eau Claire had 584.

In the 100-yard butterfly, Oglesby broke the school and conference records with a time of 50.11 seconds. This time also was a NCAA “A” national qualifying time.

“Matt Oglesby had a really good weekend,” sophomore Dan VonFeldt said.

In the 100 backstroke, Oglesby broke the school record with a time of 51.78, which was a NCAA “B” national qualifying time.

“I had the best meet of my life,” Oglesby said. “I’m really excited for nationals.”

The 400 medley relay team of Oglesby, sophomore Casey Christy, junior Kyle Gulbrandson and junior Brent Witt took second place with a time of 3:30.99.

The 200 medley relay took second place with a time of 1:35.99, which met the NCAA “B” national qualifying time.

Junior Chris Smith took third, the highest place in the 200 individual medley for the Blugolds, with a time of 2:00.07.

Senior Derek Wallen took fifth in the 200 and third in the 400 individual medley.

In diving, VonFeldt took fourth place in the one meter with a score of 320.95 and fifth in the three meter with a score of 297.15.

“Going into the meet we were really hoping to come in second, in front of La Crosse,” VonFeldt said. “We went out there and had a ton of fun.”

The swimmers who qualified will head to NCAA Div. III Nationals in Buffalo, NY during the second week of March.