Women play strong on losses

Matthew Resenhoeft

UW-Eau Claire women’s hockey team dropped two games against UW-Stevens Point on Friday and Saturday at Hobbs Ice Arena.

Stevens Point came into the series with a NCHA record of 7-2-1. Point also held the second place spot in the NCHA standings.

“We weren’t intimidated at all,” said sophomore Connie Cameron. “We knew what to expect from them.”

In the first contest Friday night, the Blugolds scored first, but were unable to capitalize on any more scoring oppurtunities.

Eau Claire junior Maria Falcone scored the Blugolds’ first and only goal of the game just 1 minute and 59 seconds into the first period.

Falcone took a pass from freshman Sara Keiffer in front of the net and snuck it past Point’s goalie, Diane Sawyer.

Falcone’s goal was assisted by Keiffer and Cameron.

“I think getting the first goal really boosted our momentum,” said junior goalie Carol Bochanyin.

It took the Pointers until the final six minutes of the first period to tie the game at 1-1.

They were not able to gain the advantage over the Blugolds until they took advantage of a power play with only six minutes remaining in the second period.

Stevens Point went on to score another two goals in the second period, both of which were completed in the last minute-and-a-half.

In the third period, there was no scoring and few shots for both teams. The Blugolds accounted for four of the 11 shots on goal taken in the third period.

The contest ended with Eau Claire trailing 4-1.

The Pointers had 35 shots on the night, doubling the Blugolds’ shots on goal.

Eau Claire was called on one penalty, serving two minutes while Stevens Point was called on three, serving six minutes.

“It was a close game even though we didn’t win, and the score doesn’t really show it,” Bochanyin said. “We were pretty happy with our performances.”

Eau Claire returned to Hobbs Ice Arena on Saturday night in an attempt to split the games.

“It was a really close game,” Bochanyin said. “We really wanted to go out there and show them that we were a much better team than they considered us to be.”

Neither team could put the puck past the goalie in the first period of the match, but Stevens Point did have 11 shots to Eau Claire’s four.

Early in the second period, Blugold Lindsay Siesennop scored the first goal of the game. She was assisted by sophomore Katie Eannelli.

The Pointers answered with a goal wth only 7:35 left in the period.

The late goal ended all scoring for the second period.

Eau Claire gained an advantage in the second period when it outshot Stevens Point by a 17-11 margin.

Stevens Point scored two goals early in the third period. The Blugolds were left trailing 3-1.

The Blugolds scored their final goal, shortening the gap with five minutes remaining in the game.

Siesennop then scored her second goal of the game thanks to an assist by junior Michelle Coughlin.

But the Blugolds were unable to close the game. When the final buzzer sounded, the Blugolds trailed Stevens Point 3-2.

“We were in there the whole game,” Cameron said. “I guess it just didn’t work out.”

The Blugolds ended the weekend with a 3-18 overall record and an 0-12 NCHA record.

The Blugolds will resume conference action Friday at UW-River Falls.