Men’s track places behind UW-Oshkosh in triangular

The UW-Eau Claire men’s track team finished second of three teams at the Oshkosh Triangular Saturday.

UW-Oshkosh took first with 163 points. Eau Claire followed with 104. North Central College scored 89 points to finish third.

Head coach Scott Steuernagel said the highlight of the meet was the 800 meter (4×2) relay.

The relay team, including freshmen Graham Phillips and David Hanson and sophomores Chad and Chris Crutchley, ran a 1 minute and 30.24 second race, which set a new fieldhouse record.

Chad came back after the event to finish first in the 200-meter dash with a time of 22.60. Freshman Ben Bilke took second, running a 23.13. Chris ran a 23.75 to finish fourth

Hanson also grabbed another first place finish in the 55 meter dash with a time of 6.64, beating the No.3 runner in the nation by two-tenths of a second.

The Blugolds dominated in the 400-meter dash. Senior Mike Mascitti led the bunch as he took first with a time of 51.55. Freshman Sean Gavigan finished second with a time of 51.64. Junior John Brumund-Smith took the third spot, running a 51.77.

“We placed pretty deep in the sprinting events,” Mascitti said. “I think we established ourselves as a sprinting force.

Mascitti said Oshkosh is tough to beat because its team is so tough all-around. He also said the score doesn’t show how close the meet really was.

“We let them know we’re for real this year,” Mascitti said.

In the field events, sophomore Jeff Bergstrom took first in the triple jump with a jump of 45 feet and three-and-one-half inches.

Sophomore Sean Corse jumped a 43’2.5″ to take third. Freshman Mike McMahon finished fourth, jumping 40’7.75″.

Junior Glen Rogers finished second in the weight throw, throwing 47’4.5″. Rogers also placed fourth in the shot put, with a 46’2″.

“Oshkosh could win the indoor national championship this year,” Steuernagel said. “I was happy with the team’s performance considering the competition.”

The Blugolds will travel to UW-Stout for a meet Friday.